7 - 7 - '77 Styx The Grand Illusion.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sean French, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

42 years ago today. My "all time" favorite album was released. :dude :bow :aok

[​IMG]

2. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

The sevens are rich digits.

peter_heijnen likes this.
  3. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Magritte for the masses.

Crimson Queen likes this.
  4. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

I saw them on the “Pieces of Eight” tour, but they still played almost all of “Grand Illusion.” It was a great show.

Ampedusa likes this.
  5. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

What album(s) was(were) released on 6-6-66 (besides that date being the fictional projected birth of Rosemary’s Baby!)?

Anyone?

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  6. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Thought this was a king diamond reference. LOL

gdomeier likes this.
  7. Sean French

I first saw them in '79 on the Cornerstone tour. They played 6 of the 8 songs from TGI. Superstars and The Grand Finale were the only absentees from that album.
    Styx was my first concert. I was 13. My mom took me and friend to the show at the Boston Garden.

chumbucket and AD like this.
  8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Love that album.

gdomeier and Guitarheel62 like this.
  9. AD

AD Supporting Member

I recently heard a live version of “Superstars” and in the live intro, JY states that they never played the song live due to the difficulty. I probably hadn’t heard the song in 35 years - great harmonies and tune.

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

That was a Monday. No-one released albums on Mondays back then--Tuesday was release day so that three day weekends wouldn't throw things completely off.

11. Sean French

Fun fact. Styx were the first , maybe only, band to ever have released 4 triple platinum selling albums in a row. The Beatles , Stones , The Who , Zeppelin or Eagles didn't achieve that back then.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The platinum certification was invented in like, 1975 or so, well after the Beatles and Stones were releasing prime product. Zep not hitting that mark is surprising.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The album was the seventh album for Styx also.

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

One of the funnest concerts I went to back in the day, Nov. 27, 1979 I think it was, in Omaha, it was my gf's 21st birthday and we were in full hippie mode. Tommy Shaw was awesome! I don't think it would have been the same without him. All of their biggest hits non-stop for 2 hours or more, no other act, just Styx.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Guitarheel62 likes this.
  15. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

My older Brother went to Jr. High with Tommy Shaw, but I liked 'em before we knew it. I had that 8-track when I was around 12. Let's see...Grand Illusion, Boston's 1st, Kansas Leftoverture, Kiss alive II, Toys in the attic, Song remains the same, man......what a time for music!

16. nowhere

nowhere Member

Because of my age the first Styx song I heard was Mr. Roboto. For decades it was also the only Styx song I ever heard. In my teens I was into jazz, metal and 60's/70's rock. At about 19 I found punk and "alternative" and more experimental new rock music. For decades the only things I ever heard about Styx was the stuff about critics hating them, how they were a pompous, boring, middle of the road corporate band - Styx Stinks, parking lot full of whale vomit etc. Not too long ago I watched a video on Youtube about the fall out from the Kilroy Was Here album (because I remembered Mr. Roboto) and the breakup of the band which included clips of some of their earlier songs... and dammed if I didn't really like some of them! Years of ignoring these guys because of what I had heard other people say about them even though for quite awhile I could have just listened for myself on Youtube - makes me feel a bit foolish.

Laurence, Guitarheel62 and twinrider1 like this.
  17. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

'77 was a great year. I turned 10. Grand Illusion, Little Queen, Foreigner Foreigner, and Cat Scratch Fever were in heavy heavy rotation in my room.

On the flipside, it's funny to look at the bands I was totally NOT into back then. Floyd, Skynyrd, Rush, Steely Dan; all bands I eventually discovered and dug into their catalogs, but at the time just didn't exist for me.

18. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

Great album. Every once in a while I have to sit down in the sweet spot and crank Castle Walls.

Guitarheel62 and Think Floyd like this.
  19. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

That was the first concert ( out of over 200 ) I went to, when I was 12. I still have the tour program. Great show.

The Grand Illusion tour -

20. twotone

twotone Member

There are only four Styx songs I really like:
    • Winner Take All
    • Lady
    • Witch Wolf
    • The Grove Of Eglantine
    None of them are on that album.