7 must have amps in your arsenal

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Can you tell us what a "real band" is? and please post a vid clip of you playing in your "real band" so we can get it...
Obviously you feel you are superior cause you play in a "Real band", please teach us the "real band" thing.
Looking forward to your vid clips.
It’s amazing isn’t it? I just don’t see how it’s at all relevant to the discussion of which amps would cover every tonal area. I could be way off base but I sense there’s a level of jealousy there. Unreal.

I’m looking forward to the clips too!

ProfRhino

unfortunately this kind of thread is troll homebase here ... :facepalm
shame, it could have lead to some interesting tone discussions.
so let me phrase my reply differently :
on stage, all I ever needed (professionally) was a stock Classic 50, an EC Strat or a DGT and one or two basic pedals.
or a small tube based MIDI rack system for the "authentic tones" Top 40 gigs that paid the rent.
that said, in the studio you're always one amp short ...
so I love collecting great amps, and am particularly interested in the "crossover" designs that marry elements of various classics (not necessarily channel switchers !).
my personal "essential tones" list would be very similar to yours, but I might use contemporary designs instead of vintage in some cases, especially for the Fender stuff. :dunno
thanks for trying anyway, CU in the more low key threads addressing single tones / amps !
Rhino

NoiseNinja

On a more serious note than my previous post in this thread, honestly I can think of very very few people who would really need 7 amps to cover the kind of tones they need to play the music they do, practically not making all that big a difference tone wise than you would be able to get with just 2 or perhaps at max 3 different amps, not really making 7 amps essential in any possible way for practically just about anyone, maybe with the exception of collectors, though it is not my impression that that was the intention with the OP, which in my genuine opinion makes this thread rather silly, even quite absurd and hard to take serious, hence the silliness of my initial post in this thread.

Now, I have nothing against silly threads, in fact I love them, what really puzzles me though is that OP, as well as several other posters, in this case appears to be dead serious, though I could of course still be wrong in that assumption.

Last edited:

lifebreath

Cross off the last three and I'm good with just the first four.
Amen! Let's see ... Tweed, check: 50's Harvard and 53E Deluxe clone; Blackface, check: 70's Princeton Reverb (same circuit as blackface); Marshall Plexi, check (close enough): '77 Marshall 2204, Vox AC30, check: Vox AC15 and Vox AC30.

Yep, that covers it!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
If you own one amp because that’s what you can afford, absolutely agree with you. We get it.
If you own one amp and believe you get all the tones you ever need or use, don’t need any more, that’s great. We get it.

But the rest of us, this is TGP, right?
I come here and belong here cause I love gear passionately, I love owning more than one of anything, I like to try different amps, obtain different tones, explore. The search and acquisition is a great high, playing all those amps is heavenly.

My OP considers 7 unique tones to cover >95% of the world tones, and can be easily obtained by 7 amps I listed. 3rd Power amp company understands this and have products addressing some of this.

Some of you added value here by adding other amps/tones I did not consider. And some of you argued intelligently that you can do this with approx 4 or so amps.

This is not silly at all. The whole idea is really we are living this 7 amp Tone scenario, some do it with 2 amps and pedals, others do it with more. Day in and Day out, we are here searching for tones, perfecting our sound, replicating something, cloning something, trying to obtain, selling and buying, this is TGP.

If we all are content with just one amp, TGP will be diluted and end of story.

gkoelling

I have the blackface and tweed from Gries with the Marshall and Dumble covered by Jetter 45/100 and Hermida Zendrive pedals.

Done.

DiPa

Constant GAS
The irony for me is that I try and get my tone with every guitar, amp and pedal I buy. Why do I get so much stuff and then try and dial in the same garbage tone? Because I’m an idiot!
Lol no you are an addict :)

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
On a more serious note than my previous post in this thread, honestly I can think of very very few people who would really need 7 amps to cover the kind of tones they need to play the music they do, practically not making all that big a difference tone wise than you would be able to get with just 2 or perhaps at max 3 different amps, not really making 7 amps essential in any possible way for practically just about anyone, maybe with the exception of collectors, though it is not my impression that that was the intention with the OP, which in my genuine opinion makes this thread rather silly, even quite absurd and hard to take serious, hence the silliness of my initial post in this thread.

Now, I have nothing against silly threads, in fact I love them, what really puzzles me though is that OP, as well as several other posters, in this case appears to be dead serious, though I could of course still be wrong in that assumption.
Thing is it’s not about need, it’s about want. Shortly after I got my first good guitar and good amp, I really didn’t need any more, but I wanted more and got more. :)

I set out a long time ago, much like DiPa did here, to try to figure out what amps I wanted in my stable to keep me interested and not have a ton of overlap. I certainly don’t need all I have, but I sure enjoy it and in the end I think that is the point.

NoiseNinja

Thing is it’s not about need, it’s about want. Shortly after I got my first good guitar and good amp, I really didn’t need any more, but I wanted more and got more. :)

I set out a long time ago, much like DiPa did here, to try to figure out what amps I wanted in my stable to keep me interested and not have a ton of overlap. I certainly don’t need all I have, but I sure enjoy it and in the end I think that is the point.
Right, I recognize that.

I am personally constantly browsing for musical gear too and feeling the urge to get more, and dreaming about getting it, even of stuff in the exact same category as I already got one of that works perfectly well and that I am actually happy with, justifying my urge by convincing myself that the new one, of a slightly different model and of another brand, that cost more than the one I already got, probably will be much, much better and complete my music gear collection, perhaps even musical search as such, and make me able to do amazing stuff I can't even possibly imagine the greatness of, since I clearly miss that piece of gear to be able to get there and finally see clearly.

And if it weren't for the fact that I am relatively poor I would no doubt have owned tons of music related gear I don't really need as well.

I understand that part, I just don't really understand why it would be something you would feel like bragging about, since to me it seems like a short coming or unfortunate tendency.

Also just the whole absurdity of even stating in all seriousness that as much as 7 amps could ever be a "must have", regardless of the specific amps stated to be so.

You only really just "must have" 1 amp, everything beyond that is non essential, unless you are a collector, which isn't my impression is the topic of this thread.

If the headline had just been "Your personal top 7 greatest amps" it would all have been perfectly fine with me, and I wouldn't have given it any further thought, but as it is now it strikes me as absurd, and I don't like what choosing to word the headline that way seems to imply, weather if what it seems to imply then is also actually the case or just an unfortunate coincidence.

Could be I just don't understand OP's sense of humor.

Maybe it is really just all me and there's nothing more to it, but I know for sure the wording of that headline somehow rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:

DiPa

Constant GAS
Right, I recognize that.

I am personally constantly browsing for musical gear too and feeling the urge to get more, and dreaming about getting it, even of stuff in the exact same category as I already got one of that works perfectly well and that I am actually happy with, justifying my urge by convincing myself that the new one, of a slightly different model and of another brand, that cost more than the one I already got, probably will be much, much better and complete my music gear collection, perhaps even musical search as such, and make me able to do amazing stuff I can't even possibly imagine the greatness of, since I clearly miss that piece of gear to be able to get there.

And if it weren't for the fact that I am relatively poor I would no doubt have owned tons of music related gear I don't really need as well.

I understand that part, I just don't really understand why it would be something you would feel like bragging about, since to me it seems like a short coming or unfortunate tendency.

Also just the whole absurdity of even stating in all seriousness that as much as 7 amps could ever be a "must have", regardless of the specific amps stated to be so.

You only really just "must have" 1 amp, everything beyond that is non essential, unless you are a collector, which is not my impression is the topic of this thread.

If the headline had just been "Your personal top 7 greatest amps" it would all have been perfectly fine with, but as it is now it strikes me as absurd, and I don't like what choosing to word this headline that way seems to imply, weather if what it seems to imply then is also actually the case or just an unfortunate coincidence.

Could be I just don't understand OP's sense of humor.

Maybe it is really just all me and there's nothing more to it, but I know for sure the wording of that headline somehow rubs me the wrong way.
Hey mate, where do you see the bragging? Are you an angry guy?
7 sounds selected for 7 amps, and as others stated, they could get those 7 tones with fewer, while others needed more, and that’s the conversation.

vintage66

It’s cool having lots of options and I’m guilty of wanting lots of amps but on the flip side, most famous guitar players are associated with a particular sound, the trick is finding yours. Not to say you should limit yourself to one amp, but maybe covering all the bases isn’t really necessary.

ducker 1

I have 2 must have amps-1 is a stock Rivera M100 and the other is a modded by Rivera-Rivera Chubster 55--the dirt channel on the 55 is pure Marshall tone-better than my old plexi or JMP, knarly as hell but built better than most MODERN mass produced Marshall amps as far as quality--the M100 even though it looks like an aggressive amp and weighs a ton can get some awesome Fender tweed tones-as well as some old DeLuxe tones-so Im done -why f-ck with what works? but theres tons of great amps out there these days--

NoiseNinja

Hey mate, where do you see the bragging? Are you an angry guy?
7 sounds selected for 7 amps, and as others stated, they could get those 7 tones with fewer, while others needed more, and that’s the conversation.
As I said you choosing to word the headline the way you did, to me seems to imply that you for some reason needs to brag about feeling the urge for acquiring unnecessary gear, an unfortunate tendency I think most people here on the forum can relate to, including my self.

As I made perfectly clear in the post you quote that might perfectly well just be me over interpreting your words, there might very well be nothing to it from your side, and if there in fact isn't I am the one who has an issue.

Weather I am wrong or not it however still rubs me the wrong way and I can't help thinking the thought and having the feeling that there might be something to it.

If I am wrong, which I, as I already said, might very well be, and which I also made clear in my previous post that you quote, there would be no need for you to take it personally, it's not so much about you as it is what that headline seems to imply to me.

And I am not angry, if I were I would probably not have given me perhaps being wrong a second thought, as I clearly did do, and I certainly have no reason to be angry at you personally since I don't even know you, however, weather you like it or not, or even weather I like it or not, that headline happens to rub me the wrong way.

The way you chose to word the headline of this thread just seems very strange to me, and I chose to explain the issue I had with it as a reply to someone who replied to my first post where I hinted to it, if it's nothing to you, it's me who have an issue, and there's really no need to make a fuzz about it.

Last edited:

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
The Laney that Iommi used is a SuperLead clone with a different transformer. Probably not worth having both unless you just want to.
Listening to their live stuff lately. Looking at videos, Iommi uses a lot more than one on the road and his road tone is more vicious than the recorded tone.

matt3310

1. Fender Basssman (tweed)
2. Fender twin
3. Marshall 6100
4. Mesa Dual Rec
5. Vox AC30
6. Soldano SLO100
7. Diezel Herbert

DiPa

Constant GAS

Trending Topics