• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

7 royalty cheques that’ll make you lose your faith in the music industry

Cream

Not The Brightest Member
Silver Supporting Member
> Plays "post-metal heavy" instrumental music
> Shocked when they only earn $0.01

nondeplume

Puppet For Prophet
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm real glad to read on there that Iron Maidens finally broken thru the piracy barrier to find a 'new' funding model called......touring....lmao.

Ahem....Iron Maiden has ALWAYS been a tour heavy band...that's how they broke thru in the first place....to sell......85 million records worldwide.

They played to 300,000 people in 1985...in South America..one show. I'm sure they were making touring bank back then also...as well as....record sales..$12mil from touring today is a celebration, I think that's 8mil equivalent in 1985. VH was pumping 25+ mil (that's 41,898,148 today) from touring alone back then, I'm sure Maiden was pulling at least 8mil....or close enough not to be singing hay-diddle-diddle, we've finally WON!

Touring is the oldest, most outdated delivery model/format going (yes), it's SO outdated that most bands aren't even playing live anymore, they have to play to backing tracks just to cut muster....

Some pretty twisted, self serving logic in that read...

CyberFerret

What would have REALLY made that article poignant is if they posted the monthly royalty check for Beiber or Lady Gaga at the end.

Then explained what causes one artist to literally earn pennies, and other to be worth more than the gross national product of some countries...

brn2run56

One of the most bizarre things about our current society is the vast amounts of
money we pay to the people who entertain us.
Besides, everyone in the music industry knows that these days you make money
from touring, not from CD/download sales.

taez555

One of the most bizarre things about our current society is the vast amounts of
money we pay to the people who entertain us.
Besides, everyone in the music industry knows that these days you make money
from touring, not from CD/download sales.
You forgot to mention that all musician's are millionaires anyway, so the money they loose is just pocket change.

bsacamano

I don't know much about the music business other than apparently there has never been a time in history where the musicians weren't getting royally screwed over.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
You mean to tell me that my guidance counselor was right when he advised against trying to make a living in a post-metal instrumental band? Who knew?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom