1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

7 string pickups!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by opultam, Aug 8, 2006.

1. opultam

opultam Member

Howdy!
    I'm looking to beef up my tone a bit on my USA Schecter Sunset 7, in the bridge position. I had been using heavier strings (11's) and also tried some low end boost pedals, but they didn't do it for me. It came with the Schecter Super Rock 7's. I've been told to check out Dimarzio Tonezone and Paf pro.

Any suggestions? I'm not looking to shred or anything, just a fuller, fatter rock tone.

Thankyou

2. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

3. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I had a Sunset 7 with Rio Grande Muy Grande 7-String Pickups, they were pretty decent. Nice split coil sounds.

4. opultam

opultam Member

Is that the M7? The meshuggah model? While I love their tone for what they do, I feel like it would be too...cold for me.

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

If you want something smoother, check out the DiMarzio Blaze 7 model.

6. opultam

opultam Member

So the Schecter guy said I should be careful of string spacing. He said the bridge on my guitar (Hardtail bridge) has wide string spacing and might not fit with certain pickups.

How do I check this? Is it as simple as placing a pickup over the strings and looking to see if they align? Or am I gonna have to swap first and hope it works?

7. opultam

opultam Member

I just looked at the prices..... $410!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow

8. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Bill Lawrence just released a limited run of his L-500 blade pickups in a seven-string width. You might give him and his wife, Becky, a call. www.billlawrence.com

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

DiMarzio probably has the greatest commitment to 7-string pickups and for the most part, I think they do the best job. They have everything from lwo output PAF style to raging hot and everything in between. I've also had Jason Lollar build me some 7-string pickups and they were outstanding.

10. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

Bare Knuckles are worth checking out. They can make any of their humbuckers into a seven string version and have great customer service. Not the cheapest option because everything is hand wound but worth a look.

11. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

I'd have to agree. I've used dimarzio pickups in the past and they are really worth the money. Not to mention you should be able to find what you are looking for with them fairly easily.

I really like the PAF 7 sound. Should be what you are looking for.

good luck.

12. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Jim,

I'll be ordering a longer-scale 7-string from Dave Wendler this coming spring and have been wondering about the DiMarzio's. I'll probably be going with a PAF7 for the neck, but my question is whether a Tone Zone in the bridge would be ridiculously out of balance with that. The next level of output down is the Air Norton, but it looks substantially lower on paper. (FWIW, the bladed BL's I mentioned above aren't likely to be wide enough to suit the application.)

-Ben

13. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Good move. Dave builds great guitars and he's a really good guy.

As for bridge pickups, I spent some time with the folks from DiMarzio at NAMM last week and I convinced them to build me a 7-string version of the Mo'Joe (the new Satriani bridge pickup). We've used the 6-string version in a couple guitars and its a great pickup. I think it's going to be amazing in a 7-string format. You'd have to get Dave to place a special order since it's a non-standard item, but once they have mine built, I'm sure the'd love to build a few more.

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Awesome, will do!

Thanks a bunch,

-Ben

15. matte

matte Senior Member

probably not...
    dominick ramos...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seymour duncan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. sethmeister

sethmeister Member

I've got a DiMarzio ToneZone 7 in mine and I like it a lot. Nice fat thick tone but with fairly crisp definition.

17. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I'm sure it's great, but what have you paired it with in the neck position?

-Ben

18. LeeBers

LeeBers Member

LOL! I realize that this is a bit late, but I've been very happy with Seymour Duncan's SH-2 (neck) and SH-4 (bridge) on my 7-string Raines guitar (think of a hollow bodied, central-blocked Les Paul).
    I found that the Chinese pickups he put in were just way too microphonic and hot for my equipment to handle; they'd distort at almost every setting.

The one company that I wish was still a bit more active in their 7-string versions of their pickups was Bartolini. Have one of the last sets of Bartolini pickups straight from the source that are currently in an Epiphone 7-string Les Paul Standard (speaking of microphonic, but this time underpowered no-name pickups).

With the 492C-B can only be described as being a bit "more" of the SH-2 by Seymour Duncan. Depending upon where you have your tone control set, this pickup on my instrument behaves either like a warmer SH-2.
    The 4D-01 is awesome in the bridge for my tastes and allows for more Holdsworthian tones.
    I'd love to get a second 7-string Les Paul and try out the Seymour Duncan SH-2 / SH-4 set, as I feel that I'm getting a bit more sustain/clarity out of the Bartolini's.

Here's a site that actually lists the different Bartolini models of pickups:
    http://www.vivianinstruments.com/upload/pricelists/Bartolini_MOC.pdf

Hope this helps out a little bit.

19. LeeBers

LeeBers Member

LOL! I realize that this is a bit late, but I've been very happy with Seymour Duncan's SH-2 (neck) and SH-4 (bridge) on my 7-string Raines guitar (think of a hollow bodied, central-blocked Les Paul).
    I found that the Chinese pickups he put in were just way too microphonic and hot for my equipment to handle; they'd distort at almost every setting.

The one company that I wish was still a bit more active in their 7-string versions of their pickups was Bartolini. Have one of the last sets of Bartolini pickups straight from the source that are currently in an Epiphone 7-string Les Paul Standard (speaking of microphonic, but this time underpowered no-name pickups).

With the 492C-B can only be described as being a bit "more" of the SH-2 by Seymour Duncan. Depending upon where you have your tone control set, this pickup on my instrument behaves either like a warmer SH-2.
    The 4D-01 is awesome in the bridge for my tastes and allows for more Holdsworthian tones.
    I'd love to get a second 7-string Les Paul and try out the Seymour Duncan SH-2 / SH-4 set, as I feel that I'm getting a bit more sustain/clarity out of the Bartolini's.

Here's a site that actually lists the different Bartolini models of pickups:
    http://www.vivianinstruments.com/upload/pricelists/Bartolini_MOC.pdf

Hope this helps out a little bit.

20. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Just wanted to chime back in here and mention that the Air Norton 7 proved to be a suitable companion for my neck-position PAF7. It's plenty hot and not overly bright as a rock-n-roll pickup, but it also works nicely with the (decidedly non-rock) electroCoustic system.

The 7-string Mo'Joe was a deal for Soloway only, so don't count on them being more widely available. Even so, I was wrong to be concerned about imbalance with the Air Norton. It works just fine.

-Ben