1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

7 watts?...you gotta be kiddin' me!! Fuchs content!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RGB, Dec 24, 2005.

1. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Gigged the new Lucky 7 last night for the first time. I thought about emailing Andy privately, but figured I might as well share my thoughts and hopefully he'll catch it here. What a wonderful amp! My compliments to the chef!

I got it yesterday, had a couple of hours at home to tweak and headed to a show. I was playing a pretty big room so I paired it with my Marshall JMP 50w combo, just in case....plus I run a two amp rig most of the time and wanted to hear a direct comparison of my Maz 18 jr, which I've been using with either the Marshall or my old Mark llB, depending on my mood. I split my signal with a Lehle Dual and run the Marshall dry and a TC chorus and DLS Echo Tap on the second amp. For my taste, the L7 brought something to my tone which has been lacking all along. I love the woody "knock" of my Marshall and the L7 has a lot in common with it. It has a ton of low end on tap...I mean a ton...and plenty of clean headroom available just working the guitar volume! I ran it into a G-Flex loaded with MC90's...yep, 7 watts driving 180 watts of power handling! Unbelievable tones and really noise free! I ran it with the volume about 2:00, treble at 12:00, mids and bass about 9-10:00. This thing sounds huge! I was goosing the front end with my Vaughn's Mods Ts9 and/or a Zendrive and getting the most authentic Angus/(early)Reverend Billy type tones. Kick in the Zendrive and it goes right into EJ/Robben Ford territory. Pure classic crunch with endless (controllable) feedback. I've tried the Minicat, Minimat, Ghia and Maz 18 jr and none have the sweetness or punch of the L7 (especially the two former amps). I still like the Maz for it's vintage vibe...although I think I'm going to sell it now, cuz I don't plan on using it much...but I just can't say enough about the L7's guts. I mainly played my Anderson Classic with the M series pups and there wasn't a bad sounding position on the toggle. Usually I have a little give and take...you know, get the bridge pup sounding great and the neck pup gets a little muddy (or vice versa), but no matter what I did it cut beautifully and sounded so big. It was like being enveloped in the tone! Can you tell I like this amp? If I had to describe my tone last night in one word, it would have to be "luscious". If you think you're getting a bedroom amp because it's 7 watts...think again! The Lucky 7 is a keeper!

I don't know how you did it Andy, but congratulations on a truly amazing piece of work!

.....now, about that ODS?.....hmmmmm....:dude

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

sounds awesome. My L7 was very marshally, it was a lot of fun to play.

3. big hair

big hair Member

interesting, I have always liked the look of that amp. Hopefully it will be at Musikmesse in Frankfurt :)

4. modRod

modRod Member

if not, you can see and play it at realguitars in leverkusen. 200 kilometers from frankfurt.

arndt

5. big hair

big hair Member

I'd love to go, but I only have a few days at Frankfurt :(
    I think they were there last time, I might send an email and find out!
    cheers

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Gigged the L7 again last night in a much smaller room...this time I ran it into a 2x12 Zinky with C Rex's and paired it with my Mark llB into a 1x12 with an MC90.

Once again, stellar tones! I've been drooling over all of the Two Rock clips on the web, but I guess if I bought one I'd have to buy a lawyer as well, (the wife ya know),...so I've been looking for a less expensive alternative and I have to say that pairing the L7 with a high gain MV head (and a Zendrive), plus running it through the C Rex's, has gotten me extremely close to that elusive singing sustain that most of the Two Rock clips showcase....and I still can't believe that it's only 7 watts!

Just a super amp! I really tried to find something on the negative side to report...don't want to sound like I'm gushing....but it just does everything I've been looking for so well! The tone controls have so much latitude...it's capable of getting a wide range of sounds. I guess if I had a feature to wish for, it might be a standby switch...I'm not sure what's the best way to handle break time with the L7...Do I shut it off, or turn the volume down, or just let it run and not worry about it?...and why don't they have a standby switch? I notice many of the low wattage amps don't have them.

At any rate, I love this amp and want to say thanks to Andy for answering my questions and building one great little rig!

7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Thanks for the kind words. We were kinda torn on the standby switch idea. We decided a full featured set of tone controls was a better design choice. Most of the "budget" amps don't have a full tone control set nor a standby switch. Perhaps in a future model.

Based on customer feedback: There may be future version of the L-7 with standby and triode/pentode switches at some point. I'm always thinking, that's why I often wander off and bump into things....

Thanks again for the kind words.

8. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

i WILL be getting a lucky 7 as soon as my tax return comes in.

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

You're welcome, Andy! I definitely looked at all of the offerings out there and listened to all of their clips and the L7 won on all fronts. The tone controls make all the difference, IMO. The Mini Z was probably the closest competitor in the clip department, (although not really all that close being a totally different animal), but for features there is no comparison. I don't think you can call the L7 a "budget" amp!

Oh yeah Andy, you might have missed my question....What is the best way to handle break time with the L7? It doesn't seem to run very hot and I'd think it would be best to just let it idle during breaks, but I figure why not ask the expert!

Thanks again!!

10. dzghia

dzghia Guest

RGB.....I'm very close to ordering a L7 or perhaps the Blackjack 21. We don't have a dealer any where close by so it will be a bit of a chance not being able to actually play before buying. My questions are how quiet is the L7? I do a lot of home recording so any noise can be annoying. Also, how is the low end? Amps I've gotten rid of quick because of the lack of bottom were the Z28 and Macht 12. Too much brittle high end with a lack of tight low end punch to my ear. I favor the Ghia and Carr Rambler type amps for the more balanced low to high freq range without being too extreme in either spectrum. You seem to be very excited about the L7 and the sound clips I've heard really have me interested. So your suggestions and opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

11. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Hey dz! I think the Lucky 7 is a very quiet rig. When I was plugged directly into it with my Anderson with the M's it was dead quiet. Of course my pedalboard adds a little hiss, but at shows you never hear that anyway. I would think it would be the perfect recording amp for me. It has quite a bit of clean headroom too so if you're looking for real early breakup, keep looking! Tight, low end punch is what this amp is all about! I've been running the bass control at about 9:00 and it's thumping! It has way more bass on tap than I'll ever need...and I run the bass wide open on my Marshall! As to brittle high end, I know it will depend on your choice of speaker, but I've run it with Mesa's MC90's and Eminence Cannabis Rex' and I love the sparkling highs with the big low end. SRV type neck pup stuff really sounds big and fat with loads of definition...sounds like I'm using 13's on my guitars now :).... and the bridge pup crunch tones are equally big and snappy. Even the quack positions sound great and I never really used them much with my Z. I also have tried the Ghia and I liked it very much. If I had to compare the two, I'd say the L7 has a much bigger, fatter tone with way more clean headroom. The Ghia broke up sooner on the dial. I think the tone controls are really voiced very well on the L7. If the 21 is basically the same amp with two EL34's I expect the same results...only louder! I'm really amazed at how much volume the L7 puts out at 7 watts. I'm running the volume at about 1-2:00 at gigs and it's plenty loud enough to hang with my drummer. I guess if you play with a bigger louder band the 21 may be the better choice, but for my power trio the L7 is just the ticket! I can run it where it's clean with a little hair and not have to use an attenuator. I'm a happy guy! :D

Hope that helps!

Rick

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

RGB,

Is the Lucky 7 loud enough for most gigs? Also, does it take pedals really well? I use a Tonebone Classic, and lots of Delay, as well as about 13 other pedals.

13. dzghia

dzghia Guest

It does help RGB and thank you. I'm gonna order one.....well.....right now as a matter of fact. Thanks again!

14. MACS93EG

MACS93EG Member

Have to agree with RGB's statements and comments about the low-end punch and clarity of Andy's "L7" in comparison to other great low-watt
    boutique amps like Mini-Cat and the Carmenghia and MAZ18 Jr. The
    "L7" just has more in the low end girth and it stays with you as you kick
    the gain level up and the amp starts naturally overdriving!

I have thoroughly enjoyed Dr.Z's CG,MAZ18Jr.,Z28 and as we all end
    up doing due to the G.A.S. sickness trading fine-sounding amps for
    the new kids on the block! The Fuchs "L7" is a mighty toneful little
    7-watter that is giving alot of great 12-22 watt boutique single-ended
    amps a run for their money!!

I recently had Andy do a few nifty "TWEAKS" that he has discovered
    for the "L7" since its inital inception and all I can say is the improvement
    was immediately noticeable when I got my "L7" back. More Clean headroom and punchier low-end and even crunchier overdrive!!

My new Gibson Les Paul Special in the faded cherry finish sounds
    "MIGHTY FINE" through the "L7"!

Swwweeeeeett!!:JAM

Mac

15. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Mine took pedals very well, and it was amazingly loud. If you want it pretty crunchy, you'll have plenty of volume. Especially with a 4x12....woah.

16. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Oh No! Tweaks!!?? I wonder if I already have 'em on this new L7? Sure sounds great as is!

Mine loves the pedalboard and like I said before, has no problem hanging with my drummer....and he's a bit of a pounder.....about a 350 pounder! :D

17. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

The L7 is an astounding little beast. As everyone above has stated; amazingly loud for its rating. The tone stack makes all the difference in the world and is what pushed me to get one. Great crunch and super responsive to the volume control on the guitar. I've been using one at rehearsal with a fairly loud band and it has been superb. It loves pedals although I agree, they add a fair amount of noise to the amp when it is cranked. Guitar straight into the amp is very quiet.

The only caveat is that I ran it at a dress rehearsal with a trio in a large room dedicated to that and I had to dime the volume. At that point the compression was a bit too strong for my taste. I would probably crank it back and have to mic it for even a fairly small club gig. That however is an easy fix. Pretty niggling complaint for an amp that is only 7 watts! If this were going to be a constant gigging amp, I would probably go for the 21 but for home, recording, rehearsal room, the 7 is much more appropriate unless you are looking for primarily clean headroom.

18. scottl

scottl Member

I had nothing to do with the tweaks! I swear! LOL

19. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Oh no!!! Andeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!:eek::eek::eek:

20. dzghia

dzghia Guest

RGB......I ordered a blond Lucky 7 yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know my anitial thoughts and will follow again later when I've had time with the amp. Thanks again for your opinions and to everyone else who helped in my decision. Happy New Year!