70 Laney Supergroup just arrived!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CommonJim, Feb 27, 2008.

1. CommonJim

CommonJim Member

Staring at me as I sit here in my office patiently waiting for 5:00 PM to arrive.

Cannot wait to get home and see what this mug can do!

Any thoughts on jumping the two channels or is that even a possibility?

I've always been a Marshall guy and am a complete Laney n00b.

It looks fairly clean. I'm a bit worried that there are no screws holding the amp to the box nor any screws in the back panel. Kinda odd.

I'm sure I'll have it to my tech in a few days as all the tubes and caps appear to be original. I plan on gigging this thing!

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Congrats! How about some pics of that bad boy. I'd love a Laney Supergroup. Almost bought the one for sale at the Plexi Palace. Too loud for my needs at the moment though and I already have a Ampeg V4 if I need loud. From my understanding the early pre-Supergroup amps were essentially Marshal clones of the same period, but with Partridge Transformers. Heard the Supergroups are similar in tone to the Marshall Plexis, but a bit rawer.

3. CommonJim

CommonJim Member

Man....

Get home, plug 'er in and it sounds *amazing* for about five minutes, then, dead, nothing.

Luckily, I think I only blew a fuse. Will be taking to my tech tomorrow for a check up.

Loud as hell for those few minutes though. Had to almost dime it to get it to break up, but when it started breaking..sweet baby jeebus did it sound good!

I'll be damned if it doesn't have Mullard tubes to boot. I'm going to guess they are original?

I'll post some pic's soon.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

STOP! You're going to keep blowing fuses and/or power tubes. Don't destroy those Mullards! Do not continue to run your SG on the 110v setting on US wall voltage. Either plug your SG into a Variac dialed down to 90-95 volts or buy a step-up voltage converter and run the amp on the 240v setting.

http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId={9D520F80-CE02-4EFD-9321-BAD9FEVERESTF96BAA2}&ic=VC500W

5. CommonJim

CommonJim Member

Thanks Bill. I'm getting a bit scared as I also have a bandmate who recently purchased a Laney/Klipp and blew the OPT pretty quickly. We assumed the the transformer was going bad to begin with but maybe it was a voltage issue?

The fuse is most definitely toasted so hopefully no permanent damage was done.

Could you please school me a bit more on the voltage issues?

Thanks!

6. steve f

steve f Member

I have a Laney Supergroup Session 50 that I had shipped from Britain. I was going to get a variac and set the variac to 110 volts and use the 110v tap on the transformer. However, in looking at this thread the advice is to set the variac at 90-95 volts. Is this just being conservative or is there some other reason?

On the advice about getting a step up transformer. I have a replacement Bulgin power cord with the regular 3 prong U.S. plug on one end that goes to the power outlet and a Bulgin connector on the other end that goes to the amp. It pretty much just looks like the standard U.S. 3 prong detachable power cord you see every day, but has been converted to have a Bulgin connector at one end. Will I be able to run 240v thru it?

7. pacreamer

pacreamer Member

On the advice from Bill, I purchased a step up transformer. I just tried it out for the first time today and it worked wonderfuly. Also before I had the transformer, along with blowing fuses I noticed the red power light would flicker. Now it no longer flickers, probibly due to the fact that the amp is happy running on 240v. Thanks Bill!!

8. klippbuzz

klippbuzz Member

I'm looking to get a voltage converter also, but when speaking with PowerBright they asked if I knew what the input current on the amp was to confirm whether the 500W or 750W converter would be best. If the converter doesn't have enough wattage the fuse in the converter will blow.

Bill - how did you determine that the 500W converter is sufficient for the amp? Do you know what the input current on the Laney's are?

pacreamer - Have you blown the converter fuse? Have you played cranked for a long period of time?

Thanks

9. louderock

louderock Member

I have a Supergroup 60. In the past I used a variac but recently put together a bucking transformer that subtracts 12.6 volts from the wall voltage.

Not sure about the 90 volt thing but I will tell you that I worked with Rusty Anderson (McCartney's guitarist) and he had a Supergroup dialed down to around 90 volts with a Variac.

Also, if the amp was originally running at 240v, it would have a smaller fuse value than required to run at 110v. That's probably why you blew a fuse. If it had a 2 amp fuse for use at 240v, you'd need a 4 amp fuse for use at 110v.