$700 to spend on a slide dedicated axe. what to get?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wattsup32, Jul 28, 2006.

1. wattsup32

wattsup32 Member

so, i can spend $700 or so on a guitar to dedicate to slide. i have heard that i should get a humbucker guitar for slide. i've also heard that i should get a tele for slide. i guess i could get a H/S guitar to cover the bases. what should i get for that money (i'll buy used to the money may go a little further than buying new)?

i could also just set my ASAT classic up for slide. i have a suhr tele that i use as my primary. is this a better idea? how heavy ought i go on the strings? 12s at least?

thanks for your help!

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I personally love a strat style for slide and currently use my G&L, but generally prefer any single coil over a humbucker. Just personal preference. Hard to argue with ANYONE whose ever handled slide duty with Allman's, and I'm pretty sure they've all been humbuckers, and except dickie were all Les Pauls. I'm a cheap SOB so I'd just set up the ASAT for slide since it's easily reversible and see how I liked it. Heck, as long as your action isn't too low, you can probably get away with just throwing on some 11s:AOK

3. Mark C

Mark C Member

Les Paul jr. Killer slide guitar, and comes in right around your budget. Try one out and see what you think!:)

4. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

Tele's love slide....

Get a Mexi-Tele / upgrade the pickups..... and you'll still have some dough for some beer!

Cheers!

5. VanStone

VanStone Member

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a slide guitar. No sense in it, because the fretwork and fingerboard don't really matter. Just pick something cheap with good feel and tone. Here's my slide guitar:

[​IMG]

It's a Jay Turser JT-RES. Only ran 280 clams brand new, and it's great for slide.

V

6. omboy

omboy Member

7. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I'd consider the Jay Turser tele with the neck humbucker. Replace the bridge pup with a Harmonic Designs Super-90 for P90 tones, and the humbucker with your humbucker of choice. Different tonal options, and well under $700.

8. go7

go7 Member

Vanstone; You got my vote good points about frets etc. not important,looks cool and money left over,My kinda slide.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Unless you KNOW you're going to be playing a lot of slide, and the additional guitar would simplify things for you (as in, a mid-set guitar switch) I'd use what you've got. I have no problems playing slide with 11s. If you're fretting out with 11s, then you're pushing the slide too hard against the strings.

All that being said, I love both Teles & P-90s for slide, with a slight edge to P-90s. The Mustang/Duo-sonic route is good, too -- I've got a '66 Musicmaster II (like a Duo, but only a neck pickup) and it does slide very well indeed. What guitar you should get comes down to, what sound do you want? Muddy? Duane? Bonnie Raitt? George Thorogood?

11. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

a 1950's Gibson ES-125

12. bek

bek Member

Here's another vote for the JT-RES. I took it to my tech after talking to him about it, and he did just a few little things which had great results: carbon-painted the control cavity; replaced the jack for a solid US-made one; replaced the tone pot with a US-made full-size one (longer sweep, better control); removed the blend pot; installed US-made full-size independent volume pots for the piezo and mini-bucker. Wow! Hairy, loud, monstrous! Throw on a set of .12s and tune to E or G. Dang.

13. chappy

chappy Supporting Member

SG Jr.'s are awesome for slide. Also, don't laugh, but the Chinese made Danelectro U2's sound great for this as well and can be picked up for less than $200.

14. Joe M

Joe M Member

Get the copy of the guitar that one of the slide masters played, MIM Muddy Waters tele. Comes in under your budget too, especially if you pick up a used one.....

15. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I like p-90s or humbucker. That SG jr from musicians friend looks pretty cool to me. Kind of tempting actually.

16. straightblues

straightblues Member

Any and I really mean just about any guitar can be used for slide. Just like regular guitar, you need to decide what flavor you want. I hate Allman Brothers slide tone and would never consider a Les Paul for slide. But most people love it.

I like Ry Cooder type slide tones. Therefore I go with old Tiesco and DeArmond type pickups for the 50's and 60's. I also love P-90's and fender pickups for slide.

I would suggest taking your amp and slide to a music strore and try out a lot of guitar and see what does it for you.

17. mattwasserman

mattwasserman Member

I'd say go with an epiphone sg and change a pickup out to something you really like. It's a guitar you can beat up and not feel bad about and it does the job for me.

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i love the bonnie raitt/lowell george sparkly yet sustaining slide tone, which is all about a strat's middle pickup, a compressor, and a somewhat clean amp. it's good to have a pickup that's past the 24th fret spot so you can get to that high E without having to switch to the bridge pickup.

that said, any guitar that looks cool but plays terribly would make a good slide guitar. for me it's an old gretch corvette solidbody with a huge neck and tiny frets. perfect!

19. cheesey

cheesey Member

used lp junior, or danelectro both use one dogear p 90, awesome slide guitars.

20. philbarnes

philbarnes Member

Hamer Special. Nice Duncan P90s, upgrade to Lollars when you can.