70´s Les Paul custom love thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Urkoman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

I´ve always heard people how great are 68 customs, 59 standards, etc...you know em.
    But the thing is i´m not a Les Paul fan, but sometimes i play one that makes me howl. Last time i thought about it and found a reason. All of them were made in the 70´s, all were customs, and the most important part, all of them had maple necks in spite the usual mahogany neck.
    So i think that´s the main reason, thy´re more aggresive, with more highs, more definition with gain.
    70´s LPs are supposed to be "not very good", but i love them. I think they were made with the maple neck from 74 to 81, am i right?
    Anyone there prefer maple necks also?

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Maple neck Norlin era LP's get a beating from LP purists, but the best guitar, hands down, I ever owned was a maple neck '81 LP Deluxe.
    Never had another guitar that came near it for playability and great, distinctive tone.

3. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I've had many over the years, most okay but entirely forgettable. The only one I really, really miss was a 77 3 pup Black Beauty Custom. That thing was close to 12 lbs, and would physically hit you played through my old Marshall Plexi. There was absolutely nothing "light and airy" about that guitar, it was a focused, deliberate assault.

4. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I had a '76 LP Custom 3PU - and should not have sold it! :jo I did not play it that often because I was into whammy bars and longer scale lengths at the time, but that guitar had some serious overdriven tone and crunch. I agree that every era has good and less good - but the Norlin LPs have an unfair bad rap generated by the purists. Look, IMO, the LP is an archetypal design - and minor variations like neck volutes and bigger pegheads do not render a whole era of guitars a waste. Not every LP I have played spoke to me, but every one of them played well and looked cool.

[​IMG]

5. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

It's like anything else. Some are great, some not so...

I put my '79 LPC back into service Saturday. She'd been retired for a while in favor as I'd been using Hamers, Historics & a Firebird as of late.

Talk about a great punch you in the nose tone! :AOK

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

I can't comment from an owner's experience about the 70s LP Customs, but I have a '73 Deluxe with the pancake body, 3 piece mismatched top and 3 piece neck that I just love. In fact, I loved on it so hard I broke the head off of it. Real bad, splintery break too. I took it to Jim Nunis for repair and it came back sounding better than ever!! I don't know what Jim did to it. He must have a bag of pixie dust or something! But anyway, my 70's Les Paul is my favorite of the three I own.

My second favorite is an '82 Standard from the Custom Shop. It has a maple neck on it and it sounds awesome. I attribute much of it's great tone to the fact that it has a maple neck.

The other guitarist in my band has a 70s Custom with aftermarket pups and I must say, it sounds pretty badass!

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

If you like something, and have a reason for liking something- the decision is yours. I think too many people get wrapped up in wanting a "vintage" guitar that they overlook the 'not desirable' aspects of a guitar, just because it's 30 years old.

My old '74 20th Anniv. Custom was one of the greatest sounding guitars I've ever owned. But it also was probably the second heaviest I owned, next to my Travis Bean. Regardless of how great it sounded and how cool a black Custom looks, that guitar was close to worthless to me simply because of the weight- and that's back when I was young and quite physically fit.

That being said, if I found a Norlin that I liked, that sounded good, didn't weigh a ton, didn't have a thick, plastic-y feeling finish, didn't have a pencil thin neck, and didn't have a gaudy wide headstock- I'd be happy with it. But that ain't gonna happen.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I bought my 1979 Custom Silverburst new in March 1980. It's been my main guitar ever since, and I've owned over 30. Definitely the best Gibson I've ever owned.

It's not original - I must have tried 20 different pickups on it over the years, before discovering "my sound" with the Duncan Custom 5 and 59 combination. In 1989, I added a Groove Tubes Fat Head, a brass plate on the back of the peghead to increase sustain. (Jimmy Saviano at Reliable Music in Charlotte turned me on to that.)

9. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I own a '78 Gibson Les Paul Pro Deluxe, with P90s and ebony fretboard. It is truly an amazing guitar, despite a little P90 hum. Wonderful tone. I am not sure what the neck is made of. Heavy as hell though!:RoCkIn

10. Mike

Mike Member

I bought mine (same exact axe - not too many made) in '77. Loved the Allmans, Zep, Frampton, and chicks!

[​IMG]

Mike

11. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

12. 73171

73171 Member

I've got a '76 LP Custom that just KILLS me..great overdriven tone, and a great jazzy clean tone on the neck pup with just a touch of the bridge pup dialed in...I had it refretted by Terry McInturff (yes, THAT Terry McInturff!!) and now it's one of the best playing guitars I've seen in my 30 years of playing (well, trying to play..)

But I didn't get that cute blonde girl in Toneguru's post with my Les Paul!!
    (maybe she's OEM..and I bought it used??)

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

So, post '81 Customs are 100% mahogany? If so, that'd be something I'd aim for in the future...

14. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

'71 Black Beauty custom 'fretless wonder.'
    Sustain, sustain, sustain. None of the subsequent dozens I've owned or hundreds I've played touches it.
    I played the neck down to the grain. It taught me every bend and choke I know.

15. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

Man ToneGurus...talk about a wake up call!

I've never owned a '70s custom, but did have a '71 Deluxe. Got rid of it after a year.

However one night while playing in a bar in Pensacola FL in the early '80s, this guy came in and had a custom shop '70s LP Custom like i've never seen before or since. It was ALL maple. Maple top, body, neck and finger board. Had block inlays even the headstock was maple. It must have weighed 15lbs because it outweighed my Yamaha SG2000.

Boat anchor it may have been, but man that LP sang like a bird through my rig at the time. (Mesa Mk2 combo). And played better than any LP Custom I've ever touched.

16. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

I am so NOT offended by this :D

17. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Again, that guitar sounded amazing- there's one pic that I know of me playing it, the other pictures are of it as my backup.

I honestly don't miss it at all.

[​IMG]

18. Timmo

Timmo Member

No matter, that is a cool pic!
    Hope you still have that Marshall..............:eek:

19. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Hey Mike - I took pics of my Custom with my girlfriend, too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:BEER

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Yeah! The cab is the same, the guts to the head are different- but the cabinet the head is in is the same... (the only reason I know that is because of another picture taken at this show that shows the back of the amp :p )

That was Fall 92.

This is sometime last year.

[​IMG]