70's Sound City 4X12 BMF Tour Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AXEnGEAR4J, Feb 16, 2015.

1. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

I know where to pick up one of these cabs as I would like to have it for my 50 plus head.
    It has the eminence square backed speakers, is this a desirable cab?
    Are these speakers any good to speak of?
    Any information appreciated.

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Since SC were made in England, factory Eminence speakers seem unlikely to me.

3. AXEnGEAR4J

It's actually a SMF series and yes they were sold with Eminence, probably put in here at the states just like Orange did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

With Orange it's a little bit "mix and match" if I understand it. Some of the Brit cabs came with Fanes, some with Celestions. Many of the American cabs were shipped empty and loaded with the Emminence (similar to the speakers in the Ampeg V4 cab, maybe)? Some seem to have been delivered with Celestions.

5. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

You really need to try a 30+ year old cab, even if it was great new, much can happen over time. Those speakers look heavier than the ones they put in Ampeg cabs.

6. AXEnGEAR4J

Oh I have MANY 30+ year old cabs including a '73 Orange with a different type Eminence. Also wondering if this was made out of particle board.

7. moe6string

moe6string Member

My L140 is particle board sides and back, plywood baffle. Look in the port on the front, you can see plain as day.

8. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

This site has all the details about Sound City and info on the different heads cabinets speakers etc. and Pictures!
    http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_home.htm

Here is a quote...
    Q5: What kind of speakers are in my Sound City speaker cabinet?

A: Sound City (Dallas Arbiter and Dallas Music Industries) never made its own speakers; instead, Sound City used several speaker makes in its cabinets. Celestion, Fane, Eminence, and Vega (in the B118v bass cab, only) were used. Among the 12-inch speakers, the least common were Celestions and the most common were Eminences, but Eminences are often the most difficult to identify because the name does not appear on them; you need to find the speaker's EIA code.

Eminence speakers have large square magnets (with three diagonally placed screws) and stamped frames. And because Eminences can sometimes be confused with CTS speakers (which Sound City never used, but which also sometimes had large square magnets), you need, ultimately, to refer to the speaker's EIA code, which is usually stamped somewhere on the speaker's frame or magnet and will begin with "67" if the speaker is an Eminence or "122" if the speaker is a cast-frame Fane, but believe me, there's no confusing an Eminence for a Fane, or vice versa.

I have a Sound City 4x12 from 1971, without the original speakers, grill cloth or logo. It sounds great!
    http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r776/Toowoombaus/SoundCitycab1971_zpsf373bf9a.jpg