'70s strat body with an original 2 point trem?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by defaultoprime, Apr 1, 2008.

1. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

Just got a "project" delivered to me which I'm looking to get my head around...

I'll have other questions later, but first... Simply put...

Were there any 70s Fender three-bolt Strats that shipped with a two point trem?

...cause that's what I'm looking at here ...a three-bolt with microtilt, originally routed SSS with two big holes for the trem, rather than six ...this body never had a 6 point trem

Trying to figure out whether it could have come from the factory like this between '73 and '75...

any info you could lend would be appreciated...

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Interesting thread to watch.

3. Alvis

Alvis Member

Maybe it was a hardtail that somebody routed ;)

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Interesting to watch indeed. I don't remember when Fender started with two point trems, but it wasn't by '73 or '74.

I suspect a different body than a stock '73, but I have no real idea w/o seeing it. Can you post pics?

Alvin, interesting idea - maybe a hardtail body w/ an added two point trem. I have a '73 Hardtail Strat at my house right now, but I can't remember how many screws hold the bridge down - I'll look at it when I get home.

This'll be fun, Dana O.

5. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

is it a Floyd Rose route?

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Fender's use of two-point trems on USA guitars starts with the American Standard Strat, and the earliest of them came out in late 1986 - and they had a 4-bolt neck, not a 3-bolt.

If it isn't a hard-tail modded for a trem, could it have been refinished including having the original 6 holes filled when the trem was changed? Could it be a replacement body?

Of course, this is Fender; who knows what they could have done - this could be the body from some crazy unmarked prototype or test-bed project, but I'm betting on replacement or repair.

7. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

yea... it's an odd bird... the space where the 6 screws would have been is clean... no filling done other than for the two big two-point holes... it originally had a route for a standard trem... after that, it was re-routed for a Kahler...

Also, the body is light and multipiece... here's a pic... you can see where it was filled, but you can't see what the routing looks like

[​IMG]

8. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

I'm starting to think that what I have here is a '75 hard-tail... alder perhaps... that was first routed for a 2-point trem and then re-routed to take the Kahler...

and I'm finally putting the pieces together regarding the neck stamp... it's a '75... which matches the neck plate... and the two pickups that I have for it... which is nice...

9. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

looks like it was a hardtail then a Floyd, and finally a Kahler. those 2 holes are too far apart to be a fender trem

10. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

Yup... I bet you're right...

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

In the pic it doesn't look like a Fender finish to me - does it look "Fender" in person?

The '73 hardtail that's at my house right now has a 3 color sunburst, quite dark on the edges - it's stock, same guy has owned it since '75.

Do you think it's a refin of a stock body, or a replacement body?

Thanks, Dana O.

12. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

The body currently has no finish... it's stripped down to bare wood... it's been stripped multiple times prior to my getting it... it had to have been a solid color originally... The guy who had it before me stripped off the horrible orange color that it had been painted....

I do believe that it's a stock Fender body...

13. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

eh... I was just poking around in the neck pocket... it was black...

14. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

upon further review... being that I was at work when I received it and only took a second to look at the body... there can be no doubt that this was a hard-tail at one point... a regular strat trem doesn't even fit in the routed hole...

now I just need to decide on a plan of action... fill the whole thing back up... or widen it to accept a strat trem...

either way will be a pain...

15. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

In the event anyone is interested, restoration has begun...

You can see what I was looking at originally... and what progress has been made thus far... gonna be alpine white in nitro when it's finished...

The hole left by the removal of the Kahler was surprisingly easy to fill... right now the filled, sanded, sealed and ready for primer... it's starting to look like a guitar again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]