1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

70's strats

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dynosoar1, Jan 2, 2008.

1. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

What's the consensus on mid seventies strats around here? I recently played a 1976 that I thought was real nice and was wondering if anybody else had some input on these guitars that I always heard were less than ideal strats. Pups sounded great, guitar was average weight.

Three bolt neck didn't seem to be an issue on the one I played.....guy was asking a bit much for the axe so I passed on it but am curious what the experts around here think of these models.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

There are some really nice ones...and some dogs. Just like the 60's and 50's. The later 70's are my least favorite strats, they're usually a little heavy and dead sounding, the pus are bad and the body contours are really lame n comparison to the older strats. But even so- I bet a few of those are around that are killer.

Bottom line- a good guitar is a good guitar- and a great strat is hard to find IMHO- If you've got one that you like in your sights...get it.

3. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

Ain't that the truth!! I have a couple of great ones....but want something "vintage" for that so called mojo. Problem is...every vintage one I've tried (with the exception of a 66 that was just incredible sounding....$18k at the time) doesn't sound even as good as mine at home so its difficult to find. CS strats can be great but they are hit or miss too.

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

My experience with early to mid 70's Strats is generally positive. As mentioned above, the late 70's guitars tend to be heavy, and the contours are not as pronounced, making them look a bit more clunky. (Also, I'm not really into the look of the black plastic parts).

My last 70's Strat was a 75 that sounded and played great. It was also reasonably light at around 7.3 pounds. A very cool guitar all around.

I also have a 66, and the 75, while a cool guitar, was a clear step below the 66 in practically every way.

The best Strat I've owned was a 60 slab board several years ago. It was a step above the 66.

5. rastus

rastus Member

I've had great ones, sos so ones and terrible ones in equal numbers it seems. This seems true of 70's instruments in general. The ratio of good ones to sos so ones in the 50's-60's seems slanted much more to the good, rarely do you find any bad ones. I have had a slew of 70's Strats lately, some real good ones. Must be lucky. Played a 77 that was KILLER but had a few changed parts. Sweet deal for 1500, but I'm lousy with guitars, had to pass!

6. Izy

Izy Member

Played a few 70s - All dogs and only good as boat anchors. Heavy and sounded like crap.

Have not seen or heard a nice one yet.

But they are out there. Just that i have not played one yet. And since they are going collected - i doubt i get to play a nice one anytime soon.

:D