'71 Marshall Super Bass full stack, in Europe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitman, Sep 14, 2006.

1. gitman

gitman Member

Hi folks !
    i was lucky and scored a very nice , fully original Super Bass stack , complete with 2 basketweave cabs. the rig was used in a school nearby ever since it was bought in 1971 ! now they were clearing out their basements and i was simply lucky :) now, a rig like that is totally unusable for me and i am not collecting amps neither. has anybody here ( preferably a european member of the board ) ever shipped /sold gear like this to the states and how did you go about it ? i have sold 2 vintage Marshall heads before and shipped them to US buyers - it cost around $ 130,- per package, airmail. a cab would have to be crated i guess and since these muthas are big and heavy it won't come cheap .... any pointers in that direction are most welcome !
    also i'd like to ask for realistic prices for that kind of material. the amp is clean, unmolested and 100% original. date on the contarl-tag is 6-4-71. the speakers are all original Celestion pre-Rola greenbacks : the straight cab is loaded with G12 M's , the slant cab has G12 H's. both cabs have plywood backs, not particle board, both have the original heavy duty casters. the rig is not yet for sale but will be eventually - whether complete or seperate remains to be seen. here are some pics :
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Randy

Randy Member

3. big hair

big hair Member

that looks gorgeous!

nice score :cool:

I shipped an amp to the USA, took no chances and used UPS.; Cost a bit, but at least it was insured and trackable

4. gitman

gitman Member

i have found the stack on Mark's website - whoa ! that is a utopian price of course but he surely kicks up a lot of dust this way - good for buisiness i guess. the stack will never be sold for such a sum of money, not to anybody in his right mind ! :crazy

5. greasykid

greasykid Member

Wow! May I ask how much did that stack set you back?

6. Occam

Occam Member

Sweet jesus...was the holy grail down there too sitting next to a '59 Les Paul? I think the far more important question is why is something so amazing not of any use to you?

7. gitman

gitman Member

Ha - sadly, a guitar was not tucked away behind that stack .... but i was really lucky as it is :) i can spot a good amp when it comes my way and i can negotiate a good deal, too ;)
    i have no real use for a rig like that a number of reasons :
    - i have a bad back ...
    - i don't play in places that acommodate louder volumes ( with a few exceptions now and then )
    - i need clean tones much more often than dirty ones
    - i don't have a sound-proof house/rehearsal room/studio
    - i have to be careful with my hearing ( 46 years old, pro for 23 years )
    - a 100 watt amp is way too big, loud and heavy
    - as are 4 x12" cabs, let alone two of them !!! they sound great, feel real good and look awesome though :RoCkIn

.... that about covers it. my current main amps are a Fuchs ODS 50 combo, a MusicMan RD-50 with a 10" speaker and an AER Acousticube. i love the tones players like David Grissom, Duane Allman, Clapton, Doyle Bramhall II , Knopfler and other greats get with Marshall-type amps and eventually i would want to have a combo amp that will give those sounds ... maybe a Bad Cat , a Germino, a Bogner - something along those lines. too bad these amps are not readily available over here and if you find them in a store they are prohibitively expensive . so there you have it. now i will go on finding out about shipping that kind of gear and then wait for some offers ...

8. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

holy Jesus...the mother of all amps...give it to me, I'll cover the shipping!! :AOK

9. frank62

frank62 Member

good god man. i never saw anything like that in any school i was ever in. just incredible. looking at that amp leaves me speechless.

10. gitman

gitman Member

well, just picture this : the school wants to start a modern music program, the year is 1970/71 and about the only decent equipment in the stores is either Dynacord ( german, low powered ) EKO ( Italian, not pro gear ) and the british stuff : Vox, Selmer and Marshall. the only real bass amp then would be the Super Bass, right ? with the usual german thoroughness ( the good kind ... ) the headmaster decided to get the best available since that will also hold up the longest time ! he was right ....the reason why this rig was not snatched up much earlier was probably the fact that it was not used much anymore in the last years and then tucked away in some far away basement corner where no student cared to look ... i'm pretty sure that there are still a few such treasures to be uncovered !:AOK

11. frank62

frank62 Member

wow, how cool is that! my high school did not even allow electric guitars on the grounds. i was expeled for 3 days once for reading rolling stone in english class. this was in the cornfiels of central illinois. the only thing we smoked when i was a boy was the tractor tires.

12. gitman

gitman Member

after some detective work with my camera and the help of friendly bro's from the vintageamps forum i have identified the various codes on the speaker frames and cones : both cabs are loaded with genuine Pre-Rola Celestion Greenbacks with bass cones ( 102 code ).
    the straight ( bottom ) cab is a model 1982b for bass with G12H-30W speakers with 55Hz bass cones from Oct. '70. and the slant ( top ) cab is a model 1935 for bass with G12M-25W speakers with 75Hz bass cones from Sept. '70.

13. frank62

frank62 Member

well sir, that is really just about as good as it gets. just incredible.

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Score of a lifetime.

Sell it whole. If you can wait, let that go to a good home that will appreciate it in it's entirety. That's an investment piece right there, and someone will pony up the cash to get it done.

Certainly there are artists out there that would pick it up...

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

man...my schools music program has a fender SS keyboard amp as a electric guitar amp and another keyboard amp for bass...and they use yamaha electrics & basses...theyre not even pcificas! I dont know what they are!!!...and they use speaker cable for instrument cable!

16. gitman

gitman Member

and going to America !!! a reputable dealer bought the stack without any hassle and the funds are on their way over as i type this - thanks for your interest and helpful assistance, guys ! i'll go back to sniffing out hidden treasures now ... :BEER [​IMG][/IMG]