'72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe Reissue MIM

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Janglin_Jack, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I am looking at these '72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe Reissue MIM. I am reading a bit about the Wide Range PU and understand these aren't like the originals. That said, I have seen some great reviews of this guitar. How does it sound stock?

Jack

2. Lution

Lution Member

I love the way my RI sounds. The pickups have a nice snappyness/sweetness to them when clean.. and also sound very nice with some distortion. I've not ever played an original.

3. Loobster

Loobster Member

Bump, I'm looking to buy one too.

4. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

About two weeks ago, I saw a Scratch and Dent model on MF for $589. I jumped on it, but it never shipped. It just shipped, so something is on its way. Since I have been waiting I have been combing the forums and YouTube to hear samples. Reviews seem great, so I hope the PU sound good, as I don't want to replace.

Does anyone know the stock wiring of the original, was it 1M for both volume and tone? What cap value??

Jack

5. Loobster

Loobster Member

I think stock wiring is 250k for both volume and tone. Not sure about the cap value, but I'll probably put 500ks for both the neck and treble pickup when I get mine. Thinking of getting a CIJ over a MIM also.

6. Lution

Lution Member

The volume and tone pots in the original run from 71-79 had certain values to match the original Seth Lover designed Wide Range pickups in the original Tele Deluxes, which had CuNiFe magnets. The Wide-Range pickups that come in the RI are completely different and changing the pots in the RI to the values of the originals won't make the guitar sound like the originals.

7. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I will decide when I get it, but usually 500K is right with Humbuckers. Too bright for singles, (except maybe P90).

Jack

8. Lution

Lution Member

good thing is you can always swap em back. part of the coolness of tone-questing. ;)

phazersonstun likes this.
  9. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Lution,

Yours is stock and it sounds like the tones are good as is?? I read a lot of posts that make it sound like it should be good as is, but today I found a rash of posts that everyone was looking for pickup upgrades. Not sure what to think now.

Jack

10. Lution

Lution Member

I think you should judge for yourself. Buy one if you want one and tweak the pickups and play with it for a while... then decide whether you want to modify. Good thing is even the RIs are holding their value so even if you move on from the guitar you won't be out much.

11. Griz

Griz Member

Play one, and if you like the stock pickups (which I do) then keep 'em.

The guys who want upgrades may be people coming to the guitar with particular expectations re: tone. I understand that these picups don't sound like originals; so if that's what you want then wait to snag a '72.

Otherwise, taken on their own merits the pickups sound great

12. bluestarbass

bluestarbass Member

I have mine completely stock and I dig the pickups. I play pretty heavy stuff. Its a nice compliment to my SG. Its alot brighter, but it cuts pretty hard in the right situation. I think the thing on the top of my list that needs replacing is the tuners. They are just kinda cheep.

13. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I don't have a pre-conceived notion on how these PU should sound, as I have not played an original '72. I have a 2006 Fender Deluxe Tele, (single coils) that I installed Duncan Antiquities. I was looking at the Deluxe for a variation on the Tele sound. So I am looking forward to hearing it, (I think I get mine Friday).

Jack

14. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

One more item, does anyone know if these Fender PU have two conductor or four??

Jack

15. Loobster

Loobster Member

I can't wait to get mine.

Does anyone know if Isis use reissues or originals?

16. Lution

Lution Member

Aaron Turner owns and plays an original Tele Deluxe.

17. Loobster

Loobster Member

Cool, man. He/they get some huge tones. I've been on an Isis binge tonight. Glad to see some fans here.

18. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I got my shipment today and it turned out to be a FSR Strat Deluxe MIM. So I had to call MFriend to get return label, etc. It will take another few weeks to get it. :eek:

Jack

19. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

If you can coax Tab Benoit like tones out of that guitar...let me know...I'll snap one up fast !

20. Lution

Lution Member

oh man, that sucks!!!!