'72 Marshall JMP50 on a '69 Marshall Bass 4 x 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by procos, Mar 10, 2015.

1. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    The best Marshall amp I have ever owned or heard just got better today. I bought a 1972 JMP50 from a buddy of mine in the fall. He had a 1969 Marshall Bass 4 x 12 with Celestion Greenbacks from '69 with the 014 cone codes. The cab and amp were meant to be played together. I hounded him for many years to get the amp from him and he finally sold it to me in the fall. However it never sounded as good with my Germino 4 x 12 as it did with his '69 cab. It sounded great with the Germino but with the '69 it sounded glorious. So I have been wanting to buy the '69 cab since getting the JMP but never could justify the money. Well I had a great quarter and called him up last week and he still had the cab. So today I paid him and brought it home. Now I can honestly say this is the best sounding Marshall combination I have ever heard. This setup just rips. I am so happy. So here are some photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a few obligatory photos of my amp collection. A lot smaller than it was back in the mid 2000's but it is just about perfect. Only thing I think I'd like to add is a Tone King Sky King.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very happy!!

Chuck

QRSS likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Chuck, congrats! Those 014 Bass Cones are amazing and really allow you to open up the treble and presence on the Marshall. I had two '69 cabs with those and sold them both, I'm stupid!

3. procos

procos Supporting Member

I totally agree. As far as I am concerned they are the holy grail of cabs. I bet a SLO would sound heavenly through this cab as well. It takes any fizz right out of the equation and all your hear is fat, thick Marshall goodness.

4. procos

procos Supporting Member

Been there, done that with too many pieces of gear. Still trying to get back a Suhr Tele I sold back in '05. That is the one that got away. As far as amps I don't really feel that I let any one amp get away. I did have a killer '62 JMI Vox AC30 that was incredible that I sold mid 2000's. Only reason I don't regret that sale is I doubled my money on that amp. And to be honest I prefer my Kanewrecks to that AC30.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I tried Jim S's SLO through my old cabs and it sounded great, and I'm not an SLO fan.

6. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Very cool cab. You just don't see many "Bass" logo cabs. Nice looking TW clones by the way, and mirror image control layouts too. I need to try an Alex ATT (I have a Hotplate, and a Faustine) on my original TWs some day.

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

Thanks!! Yeah the mirror image layout is cool. And those Kanewrecks sound even better than they look. The Alex ATT is the only attenuator I have ever played that to my ears didn't degrade the tone. Now I haven't tried them all but have owned the Z, Bad Cat leash, Komet Airbrake, Aracom and Faustine and sold them all. However the Alex is the **** and will own one as long as I am playing guitar.

8. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Amazing rigs! That cab is badass.

9. Jim Fairbairn

Jim Fairbairn Member

Very nice, Chuck. Enjoy!!

10. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Really nice collection, Chuck.

Nothing like those old speakers, they have a certain growl to them, enjoy!

Bt

11. telewacker

telewacker Member

Are the speakers Ms or Hs? I have a similar '69 cab with G12H55s that has the "100" logo. I also have a '69 straight cab with M75s. Different sounding cabs (the "100" cab is brighter even with the bass cones, and punchier) but both make any good amp sound great.

12. custom53

custom53 Member

What type of Vox Cabinet is that on the right..?

13. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Bass cone speakers? I love that with an SL.

15. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Member

I can totally relate to this.... I had g12h30s from 1972 that I paired my 68 bass spec plexi which is tube rectified. I played them every day until they farted and died and I have NEVER been able to replicate that sound and experience up to this day...

Well I recently bought a bass spec pre rola 4x12 so hopefully this latest purchase can get me back on track.

16. procos

procos Supporting Member

They are the 25 watt G12M's.

17. procos

procos Supporting Member

Just a standard 2 x 12 open back Vox cab loaded with Celestion Heritage G12H speakers. Sounds awesome.

18. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

19. telewacker

telewacker Member

Warm and woody...

20. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member