'72 Marshall Super Bass, plexi-era lead specs.

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by guitarjb44, Dec 7, 2016.

1. guitarjb44

guitarjb44 Supporting Member

I have received many positive comments (here on TGP and otherwise) about a few short video demo clips I made of my '72 Marshall Super Bass.

The video clips at the links below were all recorded with the guitar plugged directly into the upper-left input of the amp; no pedals or effects of any kind. The amp is plugged into a THD 16-ohm Hot Plate set at -8db, and the output of the Hot Plate is going directly into a vintage Marshall 4x12 with pre-Rola 25-watt greenback Celestions. There is also no post production EQ or reverb added; all are just raw video recorded with my iPhone. All sound/tone variations are a result of adjusting the guitar volume knob and/or the pickup selector switch.

The guitar in the first video is a Les Paul '57 Reissue Goldtop (bridge humbucker is a Seymour Duncan Antiquity). Volume knob on the amp is 2-3 o'clock (around 7.5 or 8 on the knob):

https://flic.kr/p/PxYo6L

The following two were recorded with the same amp setup as above, except with volume knob on the amp at noon (5 on the knob). The guitar on these two is a Schecter USA HSS strat: ash body, rosewood fretboard, two Suhr ML single coils, and EVH Frankenstein bridge humbucker.

https://flic.kr/p/PnTQMW

https://flic.kr/p/PWKEqB

JimGtr likes this.
  2. kirk95

kirk95 Jazz Lines You Can Use in the Blues Silver Supporting Member

I want one.... sounds killer!

3. cugel

cugel Member

very nice, aggressive amp. its a brute. i was surprised that there were no pedals.

4. guitarjb44

Thanks!

Yes- "brute" is a good word to describe it. VERY powerful and "huge" sounding- a LOT of horsepower in these old 100-watt Marshalls, and must be cranked very loud to get that tone (attenuator is essential). But it also sounds good when turned down, for lower-gain tones, as illustrated in the two clips with the Strat (single coils, etc...). I'm thinking of installing a PPIMV to help tame the overall volume a little more- or perhaps a Fryette Power Station would be a better idea, in place of the THD Hot Plate.

Joe

5. Bobby Smith

Bobby Smith Member

6. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Those are some great gain tones man. Very nice.

7. guitarjb44

Thank you, guys!

Joe