'72 Reissue Tele Custom - what's the concessus?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ryanspeer, Jun 2, 2005.

1. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

I've really been lusting (eh-hem) after the '72 Reissue Tele Custom (humbucker neck, single-coil bridge) for quite some time now. I'm curious what everybody's experience with this guitar is in terms of tone, flexibility, feel, etc. What is the general output/feel of the pickups? I know the bridge is supposed to be the standard Tele bridge with that nice biting tone, but how does the neck humbucker stack up against other popular humbuckers such as LP's, etc.?? Just curious if it really provides much competition.

Also, I heard that the size of the stock humbucker in the neck is different than that of, say a Gibson '57. In other words, you couldn't rip out the stock pup and slap in an aftermarket one such as the '57, Seymore Duncan, etc. Are there simple modifications to the pickguard that need to be done to make this possible, or is it a lost cause. Even more, does the stock pup even NEED to be replaced? I'm just a little skeptical as to it's quality, tonally-speaking.

Thanks ya'all!

2. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I had an original tele custom. I didn't like the Les Paul style switchgear.

The humbucker output was about the same as the bridge pickup. I really liked the sound of both pickups together. I don't think that the guitar was very versatile, but it did sound very good.

If I were you, I'd consider a "normal" tele with a neck humbucker.

3. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

Maybe it's ignorance showing here on my part, but . . .

Isn't the 72 reissue the same thing as a "normal" Tele, but for the Humbucker, 2-tone and 2-volume knobs, and displaced 3-way switch? Tonally speaking, it would seem that the '72 reissue Custom is more flexible not even taking the humbucker into account - based on the 2 tone and volume knobs... Am I missing other important items? I'm trying to educate myself on it here. . . .

Thanks!

4. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I suppose; but that's more than enough for me to call it "abnormal"!

The switchgear and pickups give you more options, but those options didn't add much to the guitars versatility: mine still only had two good sounds.

The humbucker on my custom didn't sound that great by itself, maybe a different humbucker would make it more versatile.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

IIRC the reissue has the same old 7.25" fretboard radius and skinny nut width that drove me crazy with the originals.

The humbucker is indeed a different size than 'normal' humbuckers, but you could mount a new humbucker directly to the wood with very little difficulty. IMHO Fender does not make good humbuckers in general, and specifically I think the one they put in these reissues is poor.

Unless you want the LP switch location and vol/vol/tone/tone, I'd just drop a humbucker in the neck of a 'normal' Tele and go from there.

Of course, that wasn't good enough for me... so I 'made' my own Modern Tele Custom. Fender should take a note from me and make one like mine!! :D

--chiba

6. MCG

MCG Member

Just a side note: Seymour Duncan makes a Custom Shop version of the large fender humbucker you're talking about. Sorry I can't say that I have heard it, but replacements are out there.

MCG

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

Pretty interesting guitar. I have a lefty one from Fender Japan, made around 1984. It took some fooling around to balance the pups to my liking but now that it's done it's a really fun guitar.

8. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

If the guitar speaks to you, got for it! I can't comment on the re-issue, but I have had two orignal 72's. On one, I ordered a replacement p/g from Warmoth and had them cut it for a "normal" bucker. Before you yell at me, this was 25 years ago! I like the sound of the original Seth Lover designed Cunife pickups. Can't comment on the RI's.

As others noted, the 7 1/4 radius neck and skinny frets don't do it for me. However, thats just me and many love the radius, frets and feel. I prefer a 12" radius with 6105 frets and my USACG tele necks do the trick for me. YMMV.

I've played a few 72 RIs dry though and they felt pretty good....as did the 69 RI. Again, can't comment on the plugged in tone.

9. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

I do like a somewhat thicker neck (sorry, don't know the widths/dimensions), and so I don't imagine there would be a problem getting an aftermarket neck from say, Warmoth or Mighty Mite and slapping it in there, right?

Heck, if I'm going that route, should I just get the body and the rest of the gear from Warmoth or Might Mite as well - although I can't remember if Mighty Mite sells the bodies for the '72 Custom reissue . . .

10. e-z

e-z Member

I have an original one that was my main guitar for a few years. I like the sound of the humbucker on its own.

11. DamianP

DamianP Member

I guess I agree with The Whale.

I have a mex 72 custom, I ended up replacing the humbucker with a Lollar cc and moved the switch / rewired the controls so I have a single tone and vol with a layout like a reversed std tele control plate.

The original set up wasn`t bad , I just prefer it now.

,Damian.

12. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

I disagree with general consensus of this post. I think modding stock guitars has become somewhat of a trend that isnt always necessary. I think the guitar is pretty decent stock. The neck humbucker gets a killer jazz tone when you roll off of the tone knob. Alot of people forget that this guitar is the the tele player's faux Les Paul. If you keep the intent of the design in mind, Its a cool guitar. It doesnt substitute a regular tele, but it makes a good addition/alternative in the tele players arsenal. I have a Brent Mason style tele, and a '72 Custom tele. Between these two guitars, I can cover a lot of ground. I like it. Thumbs up!

13. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've been into the Les Paul style controls lately and would be interested in the 72 Tele Custom. I would probably get a custom pickguard made that would fit a strat single coil though. I've got a tele thinline 72 with the WRHB and they sound nice but I think it would be too much of a tonal difference between a normal tele bridge pickup and the WRHB neck pickup. The neck p/u has HUGE thick bottom that would probably sound too mushy if you dial your amp in to sound great with the tele bridge p/u.

taco

14. billywade

billywade Member

I have an early '76 model that was pretty much stock when I got it. My humbucker overpowered my bridge despite any adjustments I tried. I replaced the bridge pickup with one of Fralin's hotter offerings and it evened things out. I also had a refret done. Great guitars if it is your thing. I actually prefer the "Les Paul Style" controls. I sometimes 0 the volume on my neck pickup and use the three way as a kill switch. I haven't played a reissue but would assume that they are pretty similar. Mine has been my #1 or #2 depending for several years now. It sounds great clean or distorted. The bridge position is everything I like about a Tele and the neck position is nice for solo stuff and bassy sounding cleans. I do miss the stock tele neck pickup for cleans. The three-bolt has never been a problem for me but some don't like it. Best of luck, whatever you decide.