'72 RI Telecaster Thinline Blues

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by gsblaisdell, Sep 15, 2006.

1. gsblaisdell

gsblaisdell Member

Howdy!

I have a MIM '72 RI Telecaster Thinline that needs some help.

It plays well and sounds great acoustically, but electrically is sort of lacking. I think the culprits are the pickups. They cosmetically look like the original Seth Lover Wide Range Fender humbuckers. A local guitar hero used to have a 74 Telecaster Deluxe with the original wide range Humbuckers and they were great. Thick and creamy with a touch of that fender presence. These newer knock-offs suffer from the worst of both worlds the have presence of a single coil and bottom of a humbucker but no definition.

For a while I thought it might be my amp, a black face Dual Showman going through a 1-15" Showman tone ring cab. Then I played a Custom shop '58 les paul through it, and it is definitely not the amp. That guitar had sparkle, definition and that PAF magic!

What I was wondering was if anyone has tried a pickguard/pickup swap on the Telecaster Thinline II re-issue? Please share you experiences good and bad. Also any thoughts on changing out the hardtail bridge with the pot metal saddle pieces with some serious hardware like Callaham's vintage hard tail bridge?

Thanks!

2. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Check the pots. They may be 1 meg ohm try 250k. This makes the 69 RI thinline sound way better.

3. gsblaisdell

gsblaisdell Member

I stuck with the 250K value pots, actually replaced the stock parts with RS Guitarworks Tele wiring kit. Also replaced the the hard tail bridge with the Callaham hard tail bridge. The guitar is much nicer sounding, lost the tinsley high end, Volume and Tone are useable through their whole range which makes for a alot more tone flexibility.

4. TENAX

TENAX Member

funny this thread came up. i had a 2005 mim 72 thinline..beautiful guitar, but i too thought the sound wasn't up to snuff, when i compared to the 2 teles that my guitar teacher plays..not as much punch and lifeless compared to his i thought. i contemplated doing some changes..instead, decided to sell it and invest in a MIA tele. bought a highway one (the "updated" version) that i took delivery on last week. much happier with it..maybe not as striking as the 72 thinline, but far better sound..sound that surprises and with the satin finish giving it a really silky smooth neck and jumbo frets, i'm loving it too death:) sounds like you found a good solution for yours..well done!

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

CuNiFe? FerNiCo? AlNiCo? i think they came up with these magnet alloys just to get the cool-sounding names!

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

I have the '72 deluxe reissue, with the 250k pots also. I was planning on switching all four pots for 500k pots; is this the right way to do it? Or do you use different pots for volume and tone?

7. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I have an older MIJ one with the japanese made wide range buckers (ceramic) and 500k pots. The MIM ones have alnico buckers and 250k pots. I keep reading that with the MIM ones, it's way better if you change the pots out for 500k. So I'd try that first, it's a cheap fix.

OTOH, I've put a bit of $ into upgrading my MIJ. Custom pickguard to hold standard size humbuckers and better pots (still 500k). And I currently have a pair of Vintage Vibe HB size p90's in it. Sounds very nice, but I think I'm going to swap one or both of the pickups with the SD Seth Lovers in my Les Paul. Or maybe just pick up a set of the seth lovers for the thinline. They're my favorite pickup.

I wish the original cunife ones haven't shot up in value so much. I'm kicking myself for not trying to get some off of ebay a few years ago. That would have been the best option. But I think they're $350-400 a piece now.

8. Doodad

Doodad Member

I thought it was 1 M pots all the way around on all the incarnations of those pup equipped guitars. Including tone.