'72 Tele Deluxe: Only el cheapo model??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Myron Stratis, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

2. homestar_kevin

homestar_kevin Member

I think the only way to get a more expensive one is buy an original.

But those MIM 72s are really really nice... they play really well

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

What are the real ones worth these days? I "may" know where to find one :)

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Actually, ya can but the Squier version of even less scratch.

If you are considering buying one however, be careful. These RIs have entirely different pickups than the original Seth Lover Wide Range Humbuckers. So if ya want one, buy the guitar for what it is - do not expect it to match the tone of the originals.

But on the other hand, it does appear the RI necks are stable and the microtilt adjusment functional - somehting that cannot be said of every original Deluxe made.

5. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

yea, I have the mim fender tele 72 deluxe, amazing guitar in ever aspect. It holds tune very well and is very playable. I would agree the pickups arent the same as the originals, but I feel that they are still great pickups. You should try one out!

6. lbw

lbw Member

You can get these MIJ also which I would recommend over MIM.

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I just fixed the sloppy neck joint on a real 75 Tele Deluxe the other day, and I must say I was very impressed with the sound of it. The pickups were hot and sounded great with overdrive, yet still got excellent clean tones. I would love to have an original one but 1) the neck joints on the are usually horrible and 2) the prices of 70's Fender are really getting stupid these days.

8. gitman

gitman Supporting Member

i agreee wholeheartedly in that the prices for 70's Fenders are way out of proportion and in about 75% percent of all cases just cannot be justified. i have started playing back in '73 and the new Strats and Teles in the day were all super heavy, cheesy pieces of wood. one of my buddies lucked out with a '72 Deluxe but he's a lefty so there you go ... IMHO you'd be much better off going for a sensibly priced MIM and jazz it up a bit to taste. when i think Tele Deluxe the one tune that comes to my mind is " Babylon Sisters " by Steely Dan (on their "Gaucho" CD )- the great Steve Khan and his signature sound .... he never sounded better !

9. Doodad

Doodad Member

I have a 73. They go for about 3K depending on condition. The RI electronics are different, but the feel is right. The guys are right about the neck pocket, but it is an easy fix. We cut a piece of window screen to fit and shimmed it that way. They are easy to play, smooth, and as the original owner told me, "forgiving" guitars. Mine fits like a glove. I also have the Peavey amp and MXR phase 45 that was purchased with it. Kinda of fun to vintage out when in the mood. It was a different sound.

10. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

geez, i remember about 2 or 3 years ago they could be had for 1000-1500 and i thought that was expensive.

i can't wait for this vintage bubble to burst.

11. gitman

gitman Supporting Member

i'm afraid this is no bubble ... in which cases have prices actually gone down and stayed down ? the relatively few people on this forum and their views are no real indication when it comes to market fads and forces, unfortunately.