72 Tele Deluxe Reissue!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HeeBGB, May 24, 2006.

1. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

A friend of mine just got a tele deluxe with a strat neck and those extra large split-pole Fender humbuckers. He is not happy with the electronics. Pickups are very harsh and feedback at higher volumes. Other than that it seems like a decent player.

Anyone know of any pickup options for this beast? I think Rio Grande has a set that will fit but there are no user reviews on HC so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with this model or knows of any other options!

Thanks

Greg

2. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

upgrade the pots to 500k (they are 250k right now), switch in better caps and it will make a world of difference...

Dont know about the Rio Grande p/u, but definetly put some new pups in there.

3. Doodad

Doodad Member

I have an original '73 and the pups are very diff I am told. Try some hotter pups. It is a good guitar with a comfy fit. And the other guy is right, change the pots. 500 seems good.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Jeez, 250k pots with a HB guitar. Production line Fender... I'd take it one step at a time. The pots have to be changed no matter what, so I'd start there. If he's still unhappy, then go for new pups.

I wish him luck

.....Greg

5. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I don't know squat about differences in pots. I rarely use the volume knob anyway. I actually dig the sound of the guitar for what it is. It doesn't nail a Tele Deluxe, tone, but I still dig it. I probably will change the electronics at some point. I want to put white speed knobs on it. lol
    [​IMG]

BTW, I had to order mine from the local shop, and when it arrived, they tried it out, and had the same complaint about pickups, they bitched to Fender, and got me a new guitar, which didn't have the same problem. I dig it. I had it painted, got a new pickguard, and put Graphtech's on it, and it's totally my guitar, now.

6. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

7. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

Yeah, when i upgraded to 500k pots the dark/muddy sound almost went away..but I still was not satisfied, so I'm having a Fralin Twangmaster put in the bridge and a new pearloid pickguard put on :drool I cant wait to hear it...I also did the 50s gibson wiring mod.

Even with the shoddy electronics its one of the best playing guitars i have ever tried :cool:

waxnsteel:

Did you strip the guitar and lay down that white? Looks pretty killer, how hard was removing the thick poly finish?

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I had a local dude do it. Don't get me started on the hassle. It's not perfect, but I wasn't about to drop 3 g's into a custom shop guitar. Cost just about a grand to do this way. I got my Tele in walnut, and the Strat in natural to make it as easy as possible. I was in touch with the painter before I bought the guitars. Snowflake pearl. Auto paint. And thanks! I love these guitars.