72 thinline pickup query for you wiring experts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 205, Jul 11, 2008.

1. 205

205 Senior Member

Here's a question for all you pickup wiring experts.

I have a 72 thinline with the two wide range pickups, I'm not a fan of the wide range at the neck so I had a custom pickguard made so that I could install a standard Tele pick up in its place. It's all done and I think it sounds a lot better.

My problem is when I touch the neck pickup cover it buzzes and if the strings touch the cover the sound cuts out.

I'm sure there's a simple explaination, what do you guys think could be causing this?

By the way, I had to swap the neck pickups hot and ground so that the middle setting wouldn't sound thin (out of phase.. I think) , could this be causing it??

2. Balok

Balok Member

might try reversing the hot and ground of both pickups. The bridge PU is less likely to hit the strings and cause a cut out. Or you might want to match brands of both PUs so the hot-grounds are alike.

3. Martian

Martian Member

Underneath the neck pickup, you'll see a little bare wire coming from the cover of the pickup, going to one of the eyelets of one of the pickup's lead wires. Snip this little bare wire coming from the cover of the pickup at the eyelet and resolder it to the other lead wire's eyelet. This will solve your problem.

4. 205

205 Senior Member

hey thanks guys! I'll try out these suggestions.

5. 205

205 Senior Member

Problem solved!!! thanks Martian! :BEER

6. Martian

Martian Member

Glad to help, enjoy!!