'73 Marshall JMP Mark II 50 watt (non-master)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by co-intelpro, Feb 28, 2006.

1. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Hi,all:

I was offered a '73 Marshall JMP Mark II 50 watt ( non-master) head today by a local musician. I haven't seen it or heard it at all. I guess it is OK cosmetically. Anyone have one of these? I have heard some were hand wired.

The guy wants $1000.00 CAD for it. What should I do? Is it worth it? I dig Marshalls, but I just got a VOX AC30 TBX that I am having fun with...I would really dig a handwired Marshall head, if that is what it, in fact, is.

Thanks...

2. kevo

kevo Member

thats about 880 US. if its all original and in good condition thats a great price. especially if its ptp. i suggest you try and check it out

3. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I would give it a good lookover and listen and if it were in good nick I would take it. In a few years time these will be going for three times as much as you bought it for.
    Think of it as an investment, you cant lose.
    They are probarbly the best rock amps Marshall or even anyone ever made.
    Yngwies choice... the 73 superlead metalface...

4. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Sometime in '73 is when Marshall changed over to printed circuit boards so the amp may or may not be handwired. I have an early '73 50 watt JMP Bass head (model 1986) that is handwired and it's one of the best sounding Marshalls I've ever played. I also own a killer sounding '67 Super Bass and I would be hard pressed to choose between that amp and my '73 50 watt Bass.

IMO, if the amp is all there (original transformers are most important) and not hacked.....$1000 (USD) would be a fantastic deal for it! Don't get too hung up on "handwired vs. not handwired"....especially with those early circuit board amps. They are built very well (still has big Mustard caps on those early boards) and can sound just as good or better than the handwired models that precede them.

5. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

All very good advice. If it actually says "Mark II" on the back it definitely will be PCB. Going by memory, I think the earliest of those I've seen (MK II) was dated 1/74, although there might be a real late '73. However, there were several months preceeding that during which the PCB had premiered in the 50W but it didn't say MK II anywhere (still w/stock EL34, even in the U.S., although some of the minor circuit changes started on these, .68 on Presence, etc.).

I've seen a couple of late July '73 50W Leads that were still PTP but I think that's close to the last (in Model 1987), have got a totally stock 10/73 that's PCB and is great. If you like the blasting early metal panel tone these are great IMO.

Jeff

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Even the late '70's PCB board JMP's are going for around 800USD, now.

If it's PTP then it's a steal, if it's PCB and you like it, get it.
    It's a great sounding amp that will only go up in value.

fwiw, I have a '79 Marshall PCB board that has been dragged from pillar to post in the last 20 years and I've never had any problems with it.

7. badtoneno

badtoneno Supporting Member

I got one not long ago. I haven't opened it up yet but was told it was one of the last PTP ones. No Mk2 on the back.

The only thing is that someone put a master in it - on the front too, ugh.

Anyone know a real good tech in the NE that I could trust to put it back to original? I know someone that's great in CA but I hate to send it that far.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Jimmy Somma in NJ, Pete Cage in MD are two pastabilities.

Do you really need another amp???? :Spank :Devil

:p

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I'll suggest something different than those guys. ARe you a guitarist or amp collector? IF you 're a guitarist OR both , play through the amp for awhile. It'll instantly tell you whether you want it. I own a bunch of Marshalls and love them all , BUT I really wish I could just go to a place with 100 Marshalls and choose my favorites. They surely wouldn't be based on looks, ptp's , original parts etc.. They'd be based on SOUND.

My only Marshall that's ever had a problem is my 6101 and it's been VERY SIMPLE problems, but I hear they can have serious problems based on their build.. they're complicated as hell inside and jampacked. My 2204, jtm45, Superleads, Jmp's, preamps,etc have never come close to having any problems. They're built very well and unless I just collected amps and wasn't a guitarist I wouldn't worry about the other stuff for that price.

IT's your call though! HAVE FUN

ERIC

10. badtoneno

Hey, I'm down quite a few right now, Pete! I'm even selling the VH4 if you know anyone interested.

Does Pete Cage know those old Marshall circuits pretty well? I want to get it back to bone stock.

11. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Well, I am kinda both a guitarist AND a collector. If I find an amp that is cool, and a good deal, I'll snap it up (if funding allows). I figure it's better to invest in musical gear than let the bank hold on to my money...trouble is, I have a hard time letting go of my "investments".

I appreciate all the advice so far, I will try the amplifier out. I am going to open it up and check out the wiring. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I have a chance to give a whirl...

12. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Try George at metroamp.com or send the amp to Vic at plexipalace.com for putting the amp back to stock. Both good choices. Im using Lee Jackson for a non invasive self contained tube buffered series/parallel loop in my 1981 Marshall JCM800 2203. NO drilling. Easily reversible. Lee is great at what he does. He would be another choice as well with putting your marshall back stock. He knows a LOT about these amps.

I just bought a 1959HW Marshall and it is AWESOME sounding!!!!!!!! I tried it through a friends Marshall slant from 78' w/G12M25s blackbacks. We bridged/ jumped the channels and uzed both his Tonebone Hot British and my Valvedriver by pedaldoctor.com. Sounds FRIGGIN SMOOTH as all heck and VERY tubey. We both decided it was even smoother than his ORIGINA L1975 50 watt metal face panel. Expensive amp though at $2800!. YOu can snag one on Ebay right now for $2400. I am not changing a trhing ecept i did CUT the Bright cap on the HIgh Treble channel. This amp responds incredibly well with a 12ax7 pedal. I want to try a ZVEX Fuzz Factory next with it. I am VERY happy with the amp.

I would say whether the 73' your looking at is PCB or PT to PT it is worth it. Look for replaced caps and resistors and check the Trannies, filter caps, etc as well. Should sound great. Id invest in some NOS Seimens EL34s and NOS Tungsram ECC83s in there! Maybe snip that Bright cap as well for many times I find it UNUSABLE! good luck.

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I"M exactly the same.. I invest in guitar gear and play it, instead of the bank holding on my money, but my experience with old amps is they ALL GO UP in value ... Fenders most, but Marshalls aren't far behind these days... I've gotten a 1971 superlead for 600.00 in the past few years and a few Jmp's for 700ish but they're all modded .. REGARDLESS they go up in value and are much more fun when they sound good. I could care less about 100-200.00 difference in marshalls if you can pick the good sounding ones, and every one sounds different (in my experience!) Best of luck and enjoy it if you get it.

ERIC

14. badtoneno

15. billdurham

billdurham Member

I have a 74 MKII 50 watt. It is a pcb model and has 6550s in the output. I'm not sure if amps sold in Canada were EL34 or 6550 back then so handwired is a could be or could not be thing. I would agree that it wouldn't make much difference as there really isn't much difference between the physical layout of the two boards. From the sounds of it, if you don't take it there are a couple of guys here that would be interested!

BD

16. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

What's the circuit/tone difference between a MKII and a NON MKII ???