• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

'73 Orange 4X12 w/ Greenbacks

AXEnGEAR4J

Hey a friend of my band mate has this cab for sale in decent condition and asked me to make an offer.

I want it but what in the heck do these fetch in price on a low - high?

soulohio

25 watt greenbacks? with 25 watters the cab is worth 350-550. I would not pay more than 400 unless the cab was in great shape and the speakers were in excellent shape.

not a particularly desirable cabinet but not a cast away, either.

AXEnGEAR4J

25 watt greenbacks? with 25 watters the cab is worth 350-550. I would not pay more than 400 unless the cab was in great shape and the speakers were in excellent shape.

not a particularly desirable cabinet but not a cast away, either.
Really, why is it not desirable?
Also even with greenbacks going for $125-$150 each?
I see newer models selling with V30's for $500-$700.

soulohio

Really, why is it not desirable?
Also even with greenbacks going for $125-$150 each?
I see newer models selling with V30's for $500-$700.
in my opinion, the old Orange cabinets do not age well. They usually look like hell because the orange colored vinyde gets super dirty and is ripped up. If the speakers are original, they are over 40 years old and usually those Orange bottoms did duty under an Orange head...those were not easy years.. You are right, I am low on the used speaker price....because I am looking at the speakers needing replacement.

Polvo

do you want a museum piece or a rock machine, naturally beat up (to a point) adds tremendous character and if the sound is what you want, that's what is truly important here.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, tough crowd! In the states, many Oranges were delivered with G12H30 speakers, not traditional "greenbacks) which most take to mean G12M25s). 1973 H30s are very good speakers, and may even be "pre-Rola" (check the color of the tab the terminals are attached to and the logo on the plastic magnet cover). Since the amp they would have been paired with was either an OR80 (good) or an OR120 (a little stout for a 120w cab) it's hard to know how worn they are, but Weber and Scumback can re-cone them. The cabs may not be pretty, but they're hell for stout and they're all ply unlike the Marshall cabs from the same years.

No question I'd pay $900 for a working Orange cab in worn but functional shape if I really needed it. Now, what would I pay a buddy who's just trying to get it out of his garage? I'd guess a bro price at $650?

AXEnGEAR4J

Agreed and pics to follow! :banana

Now a game changer....First of all I bought it, second is... it appears to be an early 1970 with original 1969 date coded g12H30's

Trending Topics

Top Bottom