'73 Super Reverb... HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Artimus82, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

So I took the plunge into looking for a super reverb this weekend (thanks Pfflam!) and I found one...

a 1973 SF (no Master volume).
    there was a '74 with master volume sittin' right next to it for double the price.
    I asked a friendly sales representative to help me understand why there was such a price difference.
    the '73's grill cloth was absolutely worked over (tears and the like) and one of the speakers had been changed out (I couldn't tell you what kind of speaker it was either...).

I A/B'd them... the '73 took the cake... it took it FAR away from the '74... if you ask me the Master volume sounded like poo on the '74... seriously, if poo could make a sound, it sounded like the '74's Master volume :p

So, I'm pretty sure I wanna go back today and purchase this beast.
    My inquiry to my fellow TGPers is this:

I'm gonna give it one more good once over and possible bring my guitar in to play out of it.
    Is there anything I should look at specifically with this amp?
    I'm not too concerned about the grill cloth or the speaker situation... as I said, this thing sounded awesome.
    But I've never gone this far back with an amp. This is all kinds of 'vintage' for me...
    So what kinds of things should I look out for?

Thanks for any help, guys :)

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

I'm guessing that you will be going back to a music store. What you would need to look for is mostly inside of the chassis. Just things like resoldered connections, what type of caps, etc.

You'll probably have to buy it before you can look inside. Or, have someone qualified to look inside.

If it still sounds good to you this time, it's probably a good one. '73 is the last good year.

3. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

I don't have knowledge enough to know what to even look for if I could open up the chasis. I would expect to replace some tubes and maybe a speaker or two, but other than that, how much money could I potentially have to dump into this thing if things on the inside don't look so hot?

thanks again, guys :)

4. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

also!
    I noticed that the eq pots were a bit crackly... though I don't think that fixin' those involves much more than a can of air :p

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pick this thing up today... anybody else have some input before I take the plunge? :D

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

What did I do?

6. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

73 is not a bad year for Silver Faces. I have seen the later 70's silver face amps have a lot more goofey wiring tactics than the earlier ones.
    FWIW, unless you can get in and thouroughly examine the inards and the parts, I would expect to spend 100 on replacing caps to make it gig ready.

7. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

so I'm still a rookie apparently...

FWIW = ?

8. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I have a 73 that is great.. It was my #1 for a few years but is under the weather at the moment.. tech should have it back to norm this week

9. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

For What Its Worth.

How much were they?
    Buy the 73.

10. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

got the '73 for 800 bones.
    played it last night at practice and:

hoooooooooooooly crap :worried

wow...
    I've never heard cleans like this...
    it's pretty much everything I've wanted... ever.

It sounds like it needs a tune up. Couple o' farts here and there, but other than that this amp is just bloody pristine!
    Everyone out there that's recommended this amp was SO right. Thank you guys, so much.

I play a Godin LG Signature right now. The guitar has two Seymour Duncans in it, a Custom @ the bridge and a Jazz @ the neck. You can split both of them for single coil sounds and I think I'm in love with the single coil sounds comin' outta this amp. So... I'm pretty sure I'm gonna throw some P90's in it :)

anyways... thanks again for the help guys! I'm sure I'll be buggin' ya for the 'do's and don't's as far as maintaining this beast goes.

:)

p.s. anyone have any favorite settings on their Super 'Verb?

11. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Awesome, congrats man, on finding an amp you love. I use my '68 in my reggae band for reggae rhythm. I have the bright switch off, but punch the treble up fairly high (7 or 8 or so). My mids are also about 7 or 8, and the bass at about 4. On any songs where I play a real real scratchy percussive "chop", I snap on the bright switch. The reggae band (10 piece band) is loud, so I find my volume is usually up at about 7 on stage.

12. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Congrats!

The Super Reverb is one of my favorite amps ever...no BS, just sounds great.

Enjoy.

13. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

Thanks, Steady :)

Yeah, I'm tryin' out 'The Magic 6' setting right now... vol. 6/treb 6/mid 3/bass 2
    I'm gonna try my old blues deville settings and see how that takes.

but I just can't get over how freakin' crystal clear this baby is...
    mmmmmmmm! :AOK

It looks to have the original speakers in it as well, label says Fender Special or something to that effect. I wondered if those could be improved upon for an even tighter sound??? :D

14. Doc W

Doc W Member

Hey, I just bought a 72 SR a few weeks ago. The same shop had a 65 blackface Super Reverb and I compared them side by side with an A/B box and my Strat. I know this is heresy, but I liked the 72 better, AND it was $1000 bucks cheaper (it was only $650). The 65 was very warm and broke up a little sooner, but the 72 had absolutely shimmering highs, not piercing, with the bright switch (pretty good even without it on). With my Gibson 345, it is an absolute monster blues amp: fat breakup with singing feedback on lots of notes.

It was cheap because it was pretty beat up and didn't have the original speakers. I am thinking of getting two really good modern speakers and converting it to a 2x10 amp. I will take out the chassis and put it into a head with a separate speaker cab. I am not sure which speakers yet, but I am just getting back into playing pro and I hear that there are LOTS of really good speakers out there now (Weber, Tone Tubby, etc.)

This is a great amp and one the best buys ever. I shouldn't even be telling folks that the blackface amps are way overpriced and that you can get pretty much the same thing for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less in a silverface. If you buy amps to play, not to collect, then go with a silverface (pre-master volume).

15. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

Absolutely, Doc!
    My '73 looks like someone dragged it through a dried up river bed... but I LOVE that about it.
    Now to find the uber caps, tubes and speakers to throw in it :D :D :D

16. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Super Reverb's (AB763's) are amps you simply cannot go wrong with.

It's a "to the grave" amp for me. I also recommend some emmy "ragin cajun" replacement speakers.

Enjoy :dude

17. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

nice, Shamus, I'll look into 'em :D

say, I was actually curious about knowing what model mine was so I could look up the schematic on ampwares.
    How do I find that number? i.e., AB763...

18. Doc W

Doc W Member

Let us know when you get it where you want it, with sound clips, and I will do the same.

19. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I've got the original Oxford speakers in mine as well, and am also thinking of replacing them. There are lots of good threads here on the subject. I'm gonna dig deep and try to come up with a nice selection.

20. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

One thing to look out for with SF Super Reverbs (I have a '72) is the CTS speakers. The speaker cones have a tendency to sink back into the frames with the result that they have less travel and sound muted. I had all four of mine re-coned and they sound great now. You can identify the CTS speakers by looking for a "137" on the frames.