74 Gibson J50

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by kevod23, Feb 8, 2012.

1. kevod23

kevod23 Member

I've found a 1974 Gibson j50 online and they're asking $699 for it. I've seen values at or around $750 and thought this might seem to good to be true. Anyone have any idea what one in good condition would go for? Also, I've heard some grumblings about Gibson acoustic instruments from the 70s. Any truth to that? Any help about this era of guitar would be appreciated.

2. Stubee

Stubee Member

That is a pretty good price for a decent example. I had a number of Gibsons from the '30s thru the reissues including several early '70s models, and one of those was a J-45 'Deluxe', basically the same thing you're talking about. I also had a '70 Hummingbird. Both of those were very good sounding guitars, loud and punchy, and the 'Bird was my main guitar for twenty years. I say this as a present owner of two early '50s Gibson flattops + an Advanced Jumbo RI.

The '70s models had double-X bracing and some other stuff that isn't that desirable to collectors but some can sound surprisingly good. I'd make sure the neck set is OK as they are prone to a poor set and that's an expensive fix, but if the action/saddle is OK they can be pretty darned nice for the price.

Not their golden years for many guitars but Gibsons are odd so I would not look down on a good-sounding early '70s model. You will find an immense amount of negative stuff on the world-wide-web regarding early '70s Gibsons--and Martins--but I'd let your ear be the judge.

3. kevod23

kevod23 Member

and end thread...

Great advice. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm in Nashville and the guitar is in Atlanta. This may require a drive down to play it. Plus you can always stop at Trader Joe's and pick up a few cases of 2 buck chuck...

4. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

Really skinny necks on those 70's Gibsons. Try before you buy to make sure it's comfortable for you.

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Lots of Truth. This is what is under the hood.

[​IMG]

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Built to withstand driving a Sherman tank across the top!

7. Stubee

Stubee Member

IME not like the 1 & 9/16" '60s Gibsons at all (I had two of those). The early '70s I came across had a 1 & 11/16" nut width, a pretty slim C neck, kind of like a mid-late '90s Taylor. I could never play the skinny nut '60s Gibsons in the first position worth a hoot.

I don't want to make this sound like a '74 Gibson J-50 is worth driving hours to look at, just explaining they ain't all dogs and can sound pretty good for the price you described. Good luck.