74 script Phase 90 noise?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 52ftbuddha, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

My first phase shifter arrived tonight and though I love its sound, as a new user of modulation I was surprised at the noise when on but without a signal. I could hear the LFO beat or whatever it is. Could those with phase shifters clue me in is this a standard for this type of effect. It is not objectionable but different.

rob

2. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I've got the Custom Shop '74 Script - no noise w/o a signal. Are you running a high gain set up? That might make it audible.

3. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

No my phase 90 is getting the signal from my EJ strat into a Bassman LTD on clean.

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

What is your power source?

5. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I am using the battery. Croakus I am hoping like you said it is just the amplification of a source and not the noise floor itself. I will determine this later by activating the input with a load but not a signal.

rob

6. MrMunky

MrMunky Member

That is how the old ones operated, and a lot of phase shifters I've toyed with.

Though I have no personal knowledge about how this stuff works, I've been told by reputable folks that even if the circuit is true bypass, the circuit operates in such a way that there is some interference that bleeds through into your clean signal and creates that noise.

Just consider that it lends more authenticity to the pedal.

7. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Well I took my new script phase 90 to banjo mart and put it next to the evh and the standard ver and they both made more noise. My concerns are unfounded and what I hear is an aspect of the pedal.
    rob

8. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

Mine is dead quiet. Great pedal. Prefer it over my Red Witch.

9. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Are we talking of a new pedal or an original 74 pedal? If it's a new one and they are using a wired circuit board like an original you could try moving some of the wires around a little as that can make a huge difference in the thump bleeding through. Keep in mind it could also make it worse and be careful not to break any wires off.