'75 Marshall JMP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aT19er, Feb 25, 2012.

1. aT19er

aT19er Member

Anyone know what these should go for nowadays? There's one at a local music shop, but it's in pretty rough shape. Other than normal road wear on the head box, it's been hard wired to 16 ohms out, what I think is a MV knob on the faceplate (weird location if it's stock because it slightly covers "JMP"), and the bass knob is really loose,it literally just spins. I'm sure a good tech could restore it, but what price should one be going for?

2. Balok

Balok Member

I go by what you could get for it on Ebay as it is. The drilled faceplate is a couple hundred off. Beat up is a couple hundred off. Probably no more than 800.

3. john l

john l Member

I paid 900 for my 74' 6 months ago. Looks its age and had a decent master installed using a existing hole.

Drilled holes with nothing in them while other mods have been left in along with parts that are obviously broken....? I wouldnt touch it unless they pull the chassis and show you that theres still some marshall left in there. If all is good then I agree no more than 800.

4. zenas

zenas Member

I'd want it for less than 800 if it don't work. I mean working with a hole in it is it worth a grand ? Even doing your own tech work a bad transformer and a few caps and tubes and your over a grand.
    Great amps by the way mines a 74 1987 that "worked great" when I bought it. Blew the fuse in the pawn shop! Got it for 300 changed the bad power cord and fixed a bad spot on the PC board. That was in 2,000 and I still use it. Be recapping it this week cause it started acting up after 12 years.

5. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I'd offer 600 and make 800 my threshold. A good repair tech can restore it to it's glory. The great thing about these old Marshalls that have been modded is that the collectors don't want them, making them 'players' amps. I got a '76 50-watt 4-holer a couple of years ago that had been modded w/ a ppimv at some point in it's life. Got it for an excellent price (@ 600), and I decided to keep the ppimv, as it works well and the tech I go to fixed the amp up wonderfully. It's an absolute beast and I couldn't be happier!

6. john l

john l Member

Installing a good master is generally not considered sacrilege espesically one like a PPI Master as it can be dimed right out of the circuit and your back to stock. The problem is when mods are exensive and or poorly done by the recent surge of guys that think theyre qualified enough to go and start changing things around. Ive seen old marshalls that look bone stock on the outside but are flat out cluster f--ks inside the chassis.If you buy an amp like this (depending on the severity) the restore alone might rival what you paid for the amp in the first place. This is why why I recomend having them pull the chassis so you know what your getting into.

7. 335guy

335guy Member

:agree I had this very thing happen to me. Bought a JMP 4 hole 50 watter for $800.00. Seller said it had a master installed but that was it. Got the amp and it had been butchered. Cost me another $400.00 to get it blueprinted to stock. And add new glass and caps. That was early on in my Ebay learning experience ( yrs. ago ) Now, I know better.

8. aT19er

aT19er Member

What should I look for? Anyone have a picture of some normal innards?

9. john l

john l Member

50 or 100 watter? Lead? Bass? Lead&Bass? PA?

10. acorkos

acorkos Member

11. aT19er

aT19er Member

Thanks man, I think that'll do me. If I were in LA, I'd definitely want to try it; I hope to make it out there someday but that's another story. Your's is WAY cleaner than the one I'm looking at. Imaging yours with a grey power cord, no impedence selector, a MV, some guy's name scatched into the backplate, and some new labels on some of the stuff on the back.

On a side note, how would you guys compare this to a 100W Plexi (Germino or Metro)?

12. john l

john l Member

Well over the honey moon stage with mine now so can honestly say that I cant believe I never gave the 50 watters a chance sooner. Im absolutely in love with the browner tone and spongier feel they have compared to suoerleads and wish I would have known about this side of them years back.

13. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I generally agree with you. But consider this;
    He buys said amp for $600. Let's say theoretically that repairs will be equal to the purchase price as per your post. That would be a total of $1200 and you get a singin' '75 Marshall. Compare that to ebay prices for vintage Marshalls from the mid '70s that are supposedly in pristine condition. I'd say even at 1200 you'd be doing pretty good.

As it was, the repairs to mine (new caps, tubes, one speaker jack needed re-wiring, etc.) cost me @ $200. Not bad!

Just food for thought! :)

Oh, and BTW, it is very necessary to know what you are looking at, and it appears that the OP is now doing just that. That's half of the game right there.

14. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I realize that your just asking for opinions as to the current value of a '75 JMP, but "spinning" knobs, chassis holes, and "hard-wired to 16 ohms" are indicators to me that the amp was not maintained very well... I think I'd keep my 800 bucks and look around a little more, 'cause there's a bunch of these amps from the '70's for sale out there in way better shape than the amp that you have just described...
    If I was seriously looking, I would also look at 1976-1983 2203's & 2204's... I've had NMV models and MV models, and the Master Volume models are definitely more user friendly... :)

15. john l

john l Member

My view on the matter is this and Im the furthest thing in the world from a collector and again Im not talking about amps with slight mods that are easily reversed.
    If Im looking to buy an old JMP its because thats exactly what I want. If enough components are bad or gone then your not really getting that and may as well just get a metro kit or something ya know.

Add to this the ad akorcos posted. Would you rather grab that for 1500 and be done with it or be into a restore with replaced parts for 1000-1200?

16. aT19er

aT19er Member

Good point john l. But before I do anything else I think I'll see what the local one is like and what the asking price is.