7591 tubes - tungsol reissue review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lespaulspecial, Feb 10, 2015.

1. lespaulspecial

lespaulspecial Member

Hello - I am finally getting around to refurbishing a '66 ampeg gemini 1 chassis. It's gonna take a while, cuz' I gotta lot on my plate this year. I was curious if anyone had comments or opinions about the new tungsol 7591's or the jj's and eh's? Thanks in advance, Mike

2. lespaulspecial

lespaulspecial Member

3. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

I had a '67 Ampeg Gemini II.

I put EH's in there on a whim. They sounded good. They did not sound like vintage (real) 7591 tubes, but they sounded good. The Gemini II is well known as a jazz amp and it doesn't distort at max volume, and the EH's responded accordingly, so I can't comment on how they sound when driven hard.

I, too, would like to hear any comments on the current production Tung-Sols.

4. jcs

jcs Member

I too own a Gemini II....a 1967 version with the 7591 but oddly enough the chart says "6L6GC".

When I bought the amp it had a crappy bass speaker....I went thru literally a half dozen or more speakers (EV15L etc) before I settled on an Eminence Legend 15 which is a Jensen C15N copy of sorts.

Anyhow, I used some EH 7591 that sounded good but I never heard a strong set of NOS 7591 until recently but honestly I haven't A-B compared them.

I will say I think MY Gemini II has that sort of "raw clean"....it sounds like the early 70's Stones & Faces.....especially with an open tuned guitar.

I do need to A-B the tubes and decide which to use but keep in mind the preamp tubes matter as well, which fortunately, I have plenty of NOS Ampeg preamp tubes.

To me the biggest factor was getting the right speaker in there....probably anything close to an old Jensen or CTS is the right choice...I hated the EV 15L with my Gemini II, stiff and cold sounding.

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Bump, hopefully to get more responses. I have the EH's in my Reverbojet II amp now, but am curious about the New Tung Sol as they look like actual 7591a's unlike the older EH ones.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Based on the limited demand for 7591As, I find it a little difficult to believe that the EH and Tung Sol would be different since they're made and distributed by the same company. Why produce 2 variations of a very low demand tube?

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I would agree that what you say makes sense. In searching for info about the "Tung Sol" version I came across this initial testing on the AudioKarma site: http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/showthread.php?t=625099

Interesting read. Maybe New Sensor will discontinue the EH version. :confused Who knows!

8. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I can't speak for the Tung Sol or EH variety, but I do own several sets of GE 7591a's and the JJ's sound pretty much the same to my ear. There's slightly less volume with the JJ's. Like I'd say 8 on the GE is about 10 on the JJ, but other than that, the tone sounds pretty much identical, at least in my Reverberocket II. In fact, of all the new production tubes that I've compared to NOS, those two come out the closest in tone.

So I wouldn't mess with either of those, and just switch to JJ's for 7591a's. That's my opinion anyway.

Tunesketcher likes this.
  9. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I had my 64 Ampeg Jet serviced a few months ago and we tried them (Tung Sol) in place of a set of groove tube 7591s that were in there since 1992. It seems to break up a bit earlier than before (but not by much), with perhaps a very slight drop in volume and maybe a little more noise than before (but it was always a noisy amp). I may go back the groove tubes honestly just to compare. But in fairness, those qualities may have to do with the transformer repair done on it. I will also note that the Tung Sols did not change the character of the amp at all--it still has the same great raunchy tone. All in all they seem to be a decent replacement set.