'76 CTS alnico vs Jensen P10R ri in Super Reverb

bionic

My '66 Super Reverb came with Jensen P10r Reissues and despite having four '76 CTS Alnico's in my closet I never bothered to change 'em. Nice and punchy and loud. Lately the the Jensen's inherent brittle high end got to me so I threw in two CTS Alnicos and love how it shaved off the bright highs and tamed the volume. The 2 other CTS's need reconing. Should I get them reconed from Weber put 'em in the SR and throw the quad of Jensen's to the curb?

Troy T. Blues

Comstock Station
My '66 Super Reverb came with Jensen P10r Reissues and despite having four '76 CTS Alnico's in my closet I never bothered to change 'em. Nice and punchy and loud. Lately the the Jensen's inherent brittle high end got to me so I threw in two CTS Alnicos and love how it shaved off the bright highs and tamed the volume. The 2 other CTS's need reconing. Should I get them reconed from Weber put 'em in the SR and throw the quad of Jensen's to the curb?
I have Jensen P10R RI's in my '66 too. They are probably 10 years old and well broken in and I used to like them. Things have since changed though. I think since I've been playing with 12" speakers more these days and a bit of a darker sound, they just don't sound good to me anymore....just as you described - brittle high end.

Yes...I would get the other two reconed and stick with them. Or maybe the mix of the two CTS's and the Jensen may work too. Are the CTS's Ceramic or Alnico?

bionic

Alnico. just played through the amp some more since I posted and I think I am definitely going to be sending the remaining two CTS's to Weber and selling my quad of Jensens. My Jensens are about 10 years old as well and I always liked 'em but man those CTS's are really where I'm at now. Listening to Television's Marquee Moon right now, which to me is my quintessential BFSR sound and there is no ice picky highs at all with really great bell like and glassy mids. That is what my CTS's sound like.

Morgan24

Yes the CTS has a nicer top end with no shrill, but if they are not reconed they will have more flabby bass response and a more duller(tired) sound. If you recone them they will get a tigther bass but it is expensive and the result might not be dead on compared to original ones. Having Jensen P10R, Jensen C10Q, CTS alnico and CTS Ceramic to put in my Silverface(blackfaced) Super Reverb and Vibrolux Reverb I still have not found the best choice and still looking for the ultimate 10" speaker. My advice would be to buy new Weber speakers or hunt down the Eminence blues that came in Bassman and Vibroking before switching to Jensen P10R. Or get all 4 CTS speakers reconed. Good luck... : )

Last edited:

bionic

Yes the CTS has a nicer top end with no shrill, but if they are not reconed they will have more flabby bass response and a more duller(tired) sound. If you recone them they will get a tigther bass but it is expensive and the result might not be dead on compared to original ones. Having Jensen P10R, Jensen P10Q, CTS alnico and CTS Ceramic to put in my Silverface(blackfaced) Super Reverb and Vibrolux Reverb I still have not found the best choice and still looking for the ultimate 10" speaker. My advice would be to buy new Weber speakers or hunt down the Eminence blues that came in Bassman and Vibroking before switching to Jensen P10R. Or get all 4 CTS speakers reconed. Good luck... : )
Hey Morgan,
The CTS's I have in right now is not bad on the low end as I find Super Reverb's posess more bass than I would normally use. I usually have the bass on 3 and sometimes less with humbuckers. I would be getting Weber to recone the other two CTS's as one is missing a dust cap and has a wonky wire and the other is a Waldom recone that sounds pretty bad from the seventies. The Jensens P10R's is what I previously had in the amp. They're hitting the chopping block to pay for the recones.

Morgan24

Since my last post I have tried 4x10" Eminence blue in my Super. They did sound great but the CTS alnicos are a better choice. Right now I have two CTS Alnicos and two CTS Ceramics in my Super Reverb great "vintage" warm sound. I am still loooking for the ultimate 10" speaker. If I had the money I would like to try Weber CTA10 and vintage series 10F125.

bionic

Sending off the one CTS with the wonky wire and lack of dust cap to Mike Gillepsie here in Montreal to work his magic and fix it up tomorrow. Have the three CTS (including the Waldom recone) in the amp now and it sounds way better than the Made in Italy P10R's. I didn't even know the bright switch could actually be used. The low end seems fine.

trigger96

Just a noob trying to restart the whole guitar hobby that stopped when high school ended. I have a 1974 SFVR that I bought from a friend way back in the day w/o speakers and totally neglected. I have recently started to hunt down parts for the SFVR and got my hands on a pair of blown 1973 10" CTS's that I'm planning on getting rebuilt by DSR Audio, recone, refinish, the works.

I was wondering if I made a good choice since the Jensen P10R's were cheaper then the rebuild, after reading this thread I'm glad I decided to go with the CTS's. The amp should be going to Rogers Amplifiers for a Blackface conversion and a little TLC this fall or spring with any luck.

All that and a $250.00 Fender MIM Telecaster to restart the old hobby, I think I'm off to a good start.

Trending Topics