'76 Musicman Stingray I guitar coil split?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jblue, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Jblue

Jblue Member

Hey All,
    I have a 76 Musicman stingray I guitar. I LOVE the way it plays and feels in my hands VERY much. While it does produce some amazing tones in an absolute sense, it's not quite squeezing out a certain character I'm craving. I'm wondering if splitting the coils is a good idea to give this guitar some hard tail strat type tones. Or is it crazy to mod a guitar like this? It plays so well that's it's worth way more to me than the thousand bucks or so I could sell it for... In other words I will very likely hold on to this guitar for life. What do you think?
    Thanks!

2. Jblue

Jblue Member

Btw, if you're unfamiliar, Leo fender built these guitars after selling fender. It has two humbuckers and the circuit is active-- 9v battery goes in the back.

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I had the first one in New England back in 1976. I would not mod this guitar. You have a bass roll-off on it, but the guitar will not get you the tones you are seeking if you mod it.
    It IS a stellar guitar, btw.

4. Jblue

Jblue Member

Thanks C-4, I am sure that's wise advice. It really is THE best playing guitar I've ever. And I even have a Collings 290 in the arsenal!

5. snarkle

snarkle Member

If you're looking to get more of a "hardtail Strat" sound out of a Musicman, then you probably need to find an early G&L...

:)

I'd also advise against modding the Stingray...that's a great-sounding, versatile, and weirdly under-appreciated instrument.

6. Jblue

Jblue Member

That's how I've always felt too... Cheers!

7. snarkle

snarkle Member

I had a Stingray that I traded off... I did VERY well in the trade, but I still miss that guitar. And I have a Sabre II that's currently on consignment at a Victoria music store.

I might have to pop by to double-check whether that's the right call. I'm pretty sure that within minutes of it selling vintage Musicman values will double!

They're certainly a bargain now.

8. Jblue

Jblue Member

K, I think I want your Saber II!!!! what's the difference compared to the stingray I? smaller fretboard radius i know... is the scale length the same? same active pickups/tone controls?

9. Jblue

Jblue Member

Just watched a YouTube video of a saber II. The ability to switch to single coils like that is exactly what I want to be able to do in my stingray with the 12" radius neck. The active passive switch would be nice too...

10. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

If you're into Leo Fenders post Fender creations maybe check out an early G&L F100. Mine is a Series I with 12" radius neck, and they have coil split and out of phase. They were also made in passive and active versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PTB tone controls are the same as current G&Ls.

11. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I would leave your Stingray stock...

The Sabres are a little more Strat-like. The Sabre I will have the same radius as your Stingray. They are very reasonably priced on the market for what they are IMO.

12. Jblue

Jblue Member

What about using a push-pull pot for the volume or tone knobs to split the coils? No visible or irreversible mod and more tonal options. ps, i would never sell this guitar!

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Don't mod it....retire it and buy another guitar.