76' Twin. Clean Plexi tones.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hendrixstrat, Mar 8, 2015.

1. hendrixstrat

hendrixstrat Member

I'm hoping some people could chime in on this..I'm only interested in feedback from players who actually do this, not saw it on youtube. Does anyone play blues rock through 70's blackface twin, and use a pedal to cop clean Plexi tones as their base tone? I'm not concerned with moving the gain knob at all on the pedal, just want a set & forget base tone,,What's out there? How are you using it? What drives are you sticking in front of it? I'm pretty much looking for a Marshall tone with a little hair on it that responds well with picking dynamics..Thanks in advance..I hope this turns into a long thread.

2. nateco

nateco Member

Bogner Blue...stacked with a timmy or Fuzzhead.

I don't use a twin, but I have a couple Z's. I set my rt66 for big clean tone, then use the Blue to get a semi clean plexi tone.

The blue is more like a pre-amp than a dirt box. Closest thing to an amp in a box that I've found.

3. meowmers

meowmers Member

Have you tried a DLS Mk III on super bass mode? It does whatever you're looking for and I'm using it set up that way.

It also eats pedals before it well. Reacts like a real nice amp

4. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

'70s blackface??

I use a '76 silver face with a D*A*M Sonic Titan St-07 set to minimal gain and it is the base of my tone, It's on all the time and it sounds fantastic in my opinion and nails old marshall tones really well. Worth researching, although most demos on the Sonic Titan feature its high gain tones, not to mention that the demos don't do it a shred of justice anyway.

5. gillibi

gillibi Member

Something to consider...now I won't say it'll turn your Twin into a Plexi or anything. Take out v1 12ax7. Find the phase inverter tube(closest to power tubes) and remove that, replacing it with 12ax7 from v1.

It gives the Twin a little more gain and muscle. In the past I ran a Twin like this, added British type speakers and it was nice.

6. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

The DLS will work great on that Twin, especially if the OP can keep that Twin within it's clean but strong sweet spot Vol. @ 3-4 or so (true for most amps actually).