77 Les Paul Custom Ground Issue

Sunnyevan

My LPC neck pickup works flawlessly, but the guitar is very noisy on the bridge and middle. The volume knob doesn't completely mute the bridge pickup either.

I can mute the excessive noise/hum by touching the jack plate or the pickup itself, so obviously theres a grounding issue. But I can't see where there is a disconnect in the wiring.

Here's a photo of the wiring:

bob-i

I had a 77 LP custom that had the metal ground plate as well. The ground on the pots is just the pot screwed to the plate. I had the same issue that I solved by removing the metal plate and soldering the ground wires to the back of the pots.

good luck

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
That's way too sloppy to be factory wiring. I would touch a soldering iron to all the grounds and pots and Reflow it all

MusicalMan

If I were to start doing ANYTHING, I would first get a multi-meter and figure out what isn't grounded. Check the bridge, input jack, etc. If you can verify that you have somewhere with "infinite" resistance, then you found your culprit. If you just want to clean up the solder job, that's OK, but may not get you where you want to - i.e. addressing the root cause of your issue.

a person

It sounds like it is only happening when the bridge pickup is selected. So start by chasing down the grounds for everything in the bridge pickup's signal path. Make sure there is actually a connection between the bridge pots and that metal plate (my guess is that's where your problem is). SOMETHING isn't getting grounded properly. You just need to find it.

Trending Topics