78 Fender Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Played one today and of coarse had to take it home. :D Everything is origional except the Speaker. Has a reissue Jensen 10 in it. Great little amp.

I wasnt aware that they used Tube Rectfiers in these little amps that late. It has the origional tubes in it and sounds freakin awsome. Got from my buddy Kerry at TMG Atlanta. Its been gone through by Jeff Andrews.

How much are these things worth?

I dont guess it matters cause I like it. I paid $500.00 for it.

2 6V6'S How many watts?

2. richardcouch

richardcouch Guest

12'ish watts if I remember correctly...

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

richard couch

long time no see

still into EL84's and P90's??

4. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

How does the low end hold together on yours? I just bought one with a reissue Jensen and it's definitley not as tight as I had hoped. Sounds great up till about 5 on the volume knob, and then gets progressively more flabby as it goes up in volume from there.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Mine is doing the same thing. Its gonna need a speaker to tighten it up. Anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds great excluding the Flabiness. I noticed it helps if you turn down the Bass.

Does yours have the Pull Boost on the Volume Pot?

That sounds great except you have to turn the Trebile all the way down it gets so bright when you pull it.

I'm gonna see if I can find a speaker to better the flab and go from there. Maybe take the Tremolo out and install a Mid Control. I dont think it needs a Presence control it cuts so much.

All in all its a cool little amp.

6. gregc

gregc Member

12 - 15w depending.........
    Make sure the caps are in good condition. That'll tighten up the amp too. There's a cap & resistor on those that are famous for crapping out. EZ/fast job though........
    gregc

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well everything was checked by my Tech and I dont think he would mis anything. I'll call him and inquire just to be shure.

Speakers anyone?

8. ethomas1013

Yes, but I have not even tried it yet. Just got it last night and was messing with the tremolo, reverb, and volume mostly. I did turn the bass down as I turned the amp up, but it still gets flubby.

9. ethomas1013

I'll try mine through a 2x12" cabinet tonight to see if the flub is coming from the speaker or not. If it's not the speaker, I'll have someone that a look at the caps.

10. ethomas1013

Will a 12" speaker fit in there? I was thinking about a Celestion Blue or an Eminence Red Fang if a 12" will fit.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Allright. Talked to Jeff Andrews.

He said 12 Speaker, Solidstate Rectifier, and 6L6's

He says that will take care of the Flub.

I've heard a bunch of different opinions on putting 6L6's without bigger trannys but if he says it will work I trust him.

I'm gonna take it to him next week and let him get started.
    Gonna disable the Tremolo and add a Mid control.

He said the pull boost is tied into to the reverb and he can fix the brightness but it will cost the reverb so I'm gonna keep the Reverb and not use the pull boost.

12. dicky sofa

dicky sofa Guest

Yeah, I'm still a ho for P90's and EL84's...

ID changed to remain the same across most of the fora I go to...

13. dicky sofa

dicky sofa Guest

What you end up with is a prototype Boogie when you start doing that. But I'd really go with a bigger tranny.

I have a Princeton that has cascading boost from that era by Sal Trentino (the other amp guy at Prune where Randy Smith started)...

Mine's still 6v6 based by choice.

14. dicky sofa

dicky sofa Guest

If you cut a new baffle yes it will fit.

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

The Weber 10F150T is absolutely incredible for a Princeton, woody, airy, open, but loud. It will add much of the 12" speaker volume and tone without needing the new baffle.

People also seem to like the Eminence Rajin Cajun, but I haven't tried it. It probably isn't as vintage sounding as the Weber.

Also, there are standard mods floating around the internet to boost the Princeton to 18 watts still just using the 6V6s. These sound great and add more volume and a stronger bass response.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I gotta object to this. Those changes aren't super permanent but the amp is what it is. It's a low powered, spongy, mostly clean take on the BF Fender sound. It records well, it's perfect for small gigs but the distortion probably should come from pedals. It doesn't need 6L6s to sound good, doesn't need a SS rectifier to do what it was born to and sure doesn't need a new OT. If you're going that direction, buy a Mk I Boogie, or a Pro Reverb (not a lot more than you've got into the Princeton) or an Allen copy of same. Otherwise, use great tubes, unplug the internal speaker and use an extension cab, or try an find an EV SRO for it. The combination of high power handling and alnico sweetness is perfect for that amp. You can have a new baffle cut for the 12, or again, just use an extension cab. That speaker (reissue Jensen 10) is lackluster at best, almost anything will be an improvement. I hope I don't sound TOO much like an old codger, but those are really great amps stock and they're not making any more of them-why mess with a good thing:)

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm not wanting a prototype Boogie by any means.

To me bigger iron would be going in that direction. I'm not.

I'll mention about getting more power from 6V6's. Could one suggest a link?

I'm really not in need of more power just less flub.

Of coarse what Jeff suggested would be more power but not much. Maybe 6 watts or so more.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dr Bob I see your point and agree with you to a point.

A Pro Reverb is not what I'm after.

The SS Rectifier will be a Plug in (non envasive). To me the speaker would be the biggest change. The Mid control would be undoable but maybe I should just get him to boost the mids just a little.

If I could find a 10" Speaker that dont flub I might not go the 12" route. Though I have a 12" speaker I think would be perfect for it.

19. ethomas1013

Agree 100%

Like Red Planet I'm just looking to eliminate the flubby low end when cranked. The Tube rectifier and tremolo is a big part of the appeal for me so I'll stay stock with that regard.

I thought about an extension cab but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a small pick up and go amp. If I go with a 12" speaker I'll get another baffle and keep the original.

No way I would ever go with 6L6 tubes in one of these. I like 6v6 tones so much better.

20. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I will (for what it is worth) add my objection to butchering an innocent old Fender. First, the better speaker won't in my opinion do a thing about the flub. That is what small Fenders do. I have put dozens of speakers in my Fenders and the flub is a constant. Also, if I remember right about Princetons, that baffle was not a screw out in a '79 like it was on the blackfaced models. It is dado'd (sp?) into the cabinet. You will have to butcher that baffle to get a 12" in it, or butcher the cab cutting that baffle out and jury rigging a new one in. Second, I wouldn't go to the 6L6's because I don't think it will get you much. I have the 2 biggest of the little Fenders - a Vibrolux (6L6 2x10) and a Deluxe (6V6 1x12). Both are flabby when cranked, and both have about the same headroom. The 6L6's sound different, but frankly you don't get anymore volume out of them unless you put in a tranny that can handle them. Remember a lot of the grind is coming from a saturated tranny, not just clipping tubes. In fact right now my Deluxe is every bit as loud as my Vibrolux and both amp are healthy and biased. If the Vibrolux is any cleaner than the Deluxe, it certainly isn't enough to warrant an expensive mod on a 6V6 amp to get there. Thirdly, and most importantly, listen to that amp in a mix a couple times before you judge the flubbiness. In a bedroom or a store, Fenders never demo well because of the flab, but in a mix that flab turns into something magic. If you haven't tried it already, give that poor innocent little amp a break and get to know it before you thrash it with a bunch of hack internet mods. It will not let you down if you just give it half a chance! At the very least stick to reversible mods. Weber makes some great speakers for that amp. Checking the filter and bypass caps is a good start, but don't let anyone talk you into over filtering it to tighten the bass. It has a tube recto and they don't like bigger filter caps. Anything more than 60u or so total on the B+ and you will trash the recto and it will fail on you when you need it most. Put fresh tubes in it and bias them correctly. 6V6's in particular sound MUCH better when biased correctly. Cut out the squelch caps on the power tubes and reverb circuit if any. If it has the dark blue pactron tone and coupling caps (which it should in '79), leave them be - they sound great. That is more than enough to bring a little Princeton up to snuff. Those are great sounding little amps and $500 is about a fair price for one these days. I think that is about $200 more than you will be able to sell it for it if you do these mods (IMO). But this is all just one mans opinion.