'79 Fender anniversary Strat

zestystrat

Anyone have one of these? What is your experience / thoughts on them?

Short story....buying my 1st gtr, (this would be around 84ish) with my dad's help. I was struck by this used strat.

My father, in his best attempt to help me make a good decision with my money, told me that I shouldn't buy a used gtr. Being a youngin' I didn't push back.

70's Strats being what they are (the sterotype being, not great and now way over-priced) I was curious if anyone had one and what their experience / thoughts are on them.

Did we make the right call? If I had bought it, I could have def sold it for more than I paid for it.

But I was much more interested in this: Did I miss out on a HQ strat?

zestystrat

Oh I'm not buying one....very happy with my LsL Saticoys. Just curious about the guitar.

Thx for the info Bill.

Dad: 1
Loudmouth Kid: 0

Tuberattler

I had a white one and they were supposed to be Gold.

Review:

Heavy- played well- sounded meh- couldn't bond

Pretty- looks good

Average guitar that was promoted by Fender as their Anniversary model.

serial

And selling today (and always since 1979) for the same dollars or less-certainly less figuring inflation. Not a fan and I love 70s Fenders. They made TONS of them (@10,000 iirc), so they aren't rare. Nobody wanted them then and fewer do now, so you were fine passing on it.

Lightningrt

I've used a 73 Strat now for 29 years and it's vastly different to anything from 74/75 onwards. All post 73 (1970's) Strats I have played have been too heavy, bodies too thick, and have had ill fitting baseball bat necks. The anniversary was very much a how I think of a late 70s Strat in that, discounting the neck ( which can vary ) the body has a good chance of being unwieldy and heavy.

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
my friend has a 79 strat.. quite possibly the worst fender I have ever played.. also, probably the worse guitar I ever played.. also the heaviest.. but his had a 3 bolt neck

serial

My '77 was a beautifully contoured featherweight. Sounded too much like a Strat so I sold it. My '78 lefty weighs a ton, but has Tokai pickups and sounds great and my '81 Capri Orange weighs a little more than a ton, but plays and sounds great.

sixty2strat

A Friend had one and I have 79 that I love. Never thought it was even closer to my 79tht I had cherry picked from 5 or 6 stores inventory. For a 25 annv. I expected something special and it was just a below average strat that was but ugly in silver

WoodyStrat

In my local shop is the most loved 25th Anniversary war baby you have ever seen. I don't think I have ever seen a guitar with more miles on it! Every now and then I look at the price and think hmmmm...

But then I pick it up, man, that thing would make Norlin Les Pauls seem like a feather! However, someone locally gigged it for decades, so how terrible could it be?

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I think everyone has pretty much covered it already. It's a guitar you WANT to love, but there's not a lot to love about the 25th Annie other than the 4-bolt neck. I tried for a long time to find a decent one but they were all incredibly heavy (like 11-12 pounds heavy) and utterly dead as far as resonance goes.

Long story short, there are much better 70's Strats to be found and for much better prices than the Annie's go for.

Jiffy_Jeff

Playin Tunes and Having Fun!
Gold Supporting Member
Glad this thread was started. I have always wanted one of those silver anniversary Strats.
In the late 80s I saw one hanging in a store in San Diego and it was tagged at over $2K. Fell in love with it, from afar. The two owners wouldn't let an 18yr old play it. Crazy money back then.

But after reading the above posts I will pass on it.

zestystrat

Sitting here with my Dad, laughing about the "naw, don't buy used"...glad that guitar was kind of a dud.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
A local shop had one of those forever. It was nice but not the best that I had played from that decade....

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
If you work on many guitars, you'll know that some strike you as remarkable, and others are simply forgettable. I have done setup work on one and tuner swap on another Anniversary model Strat.

Oh, both were remarkable. I liked the paint/style and the necks were very playable on both, but they both were Les Paul heavy. I weighed the 2nd one - 9.75lbs. The first one felt heavier.

So, should you have gotten that used one? I'd say yes - it would be a worthy and cool 'first guitar never to get rid of' for sure.

Last edited:

Gclef

My friend had one that was nowhere near my 90 strat plus deluxe.

It weighed just over 12 lbs
The neck was narrow at the nut
The finish was think and gloopy. Sticky too.
The pickups sucked.
It sounded horrible. Very thin sounding with no resonance. It felt like the wood didn't absorb ANY of the string's vibrations.
It was very stiff feeling.
It went out of tune with the slightest touch of the whammy bar

Other than the aforementioned, it was a great guitar.

I eventually sold him my deluxe and used the proceeds to assemble a warmoth strat. It makes the deluxe seem like the '79 in comparison.

Trending Topics