79 LP Custom - Fake?

hchoe741

I gotta admit they're getting pretty good. Seeing the dirty fingers and the gibson branded tuners threw me off a bit. They even got the fret nibs!

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
What's really sticking out to me is the binding in the center of the headstock. The point comes down too far to be a real Bibson, as if the headstock "V" is too deep.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
1979 peghead-

Look at these two pics. The points are not in the same location. And one shows yellowed binding and the other does not. C'mon folks. No more variation between these guitars than there is in the guitar in the reverb ad pics.

Last edited:

hchoe741

If it’s fake, they did a very nice job of faking the period correct Gibson tuners and the lacquer cracks around inlay. I say real.
Tuners could be genuine. They seem a bit more worn than the bridge and tailpiece which look almost new.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
My vote is real LP custom with chrome hdw. Pickups are not factory. Lots of camera weirdness. Shots of control cavity and truss rod would help. Mahogany neck seems possible anomaly. So probably maple. Case is not 79. Is someone making fake 40 year old Schaller tuners?

DCAddy

My vote is real LP custom with chrome hdw. Pickups are not factory. Lots of camera weirdness. Shots of control cavity and truss rod would help. Mahogany neck seems possible anomaly. So probably maple. Case is not 79. Is someone making fake 40 year old Schaller tuners?
I agree.
Can opener cutaway, narrow waist, lower tailpiece, screams late 70s. Also, nobody's gonna reproduce that blocky 70s-80s logo.

Otter351

Looks real to me with replaced plastics, pickups and hardware. Safe bet it's also a refin and newer electronics. Back of the headstock pic makes it look like a 3-piece neck. But, back of the shaft looks like a 1 piece