'79 Marshall Straight Cab - desirable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shoe, Feb 23, 2009.

1. shoe

shoe Member

I have an opportunity to pick up a '79 Marshall straight front cab with greenbacks. Would you guys consider this a good/desirable 4x12 and what would you feel would be a fair price? I doubt the speakers are original, but I honestly don't know. Would you guys consider this a desirable cab for $750?

2. jay42

jay42 Member

Desirable yes...seems kind of pricey. Shiny new Greenbacks from Avatar would be about $350 delivered, leaving $400 for the empty cab.

[edit]Frankie...you're talking Heritage version. I'm talking new Made In China, vs. what are probably old and possibly worn out:

Greenbacks $79 ea + $8 ea shipping ...Case of four $299 plus $29 shipping.
    Heritage G12H $179 plus $8 shipping. Each 8 ohm , 15 ohm 4 for 689 plus 29 ship

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

$750 for four Greenbacks is pricey? Even the reissues are $250 a piece. Check the speakers out, see what they are. It may very well be worth it.

4. shoe

shoe Member

It has greenbacks but I figure they are reissues. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Can't tell in that pic if they're reissues or not. Even reissues will cost you more than $750 though. Try to talk the guy down and see if he bites. I use eight G12C-25 Greenie reissues for my live rig and they sound basically excellent.

As long as those aren't the cheap G12M "Greenbacks" they sell, and actually some Heritage or even Rola Celestions, that's probably worth the money. Plus, a '79 cabinet has soaked up a fair share of mojo.

6. cugel

cugel Member

personally if those arent the original speakers i would walk and keep looking
    for that same price 2 years ago a picked up and original 68 bw slant
    there are bargains out there but you have to be patiant

7. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Yes those are recent era G12M Greenbacks, most likely from China. Those are not heritage series, just the regular ones that go for about $125 each new and probably $75-$100 or so each on the used market. Those speakers are quite bright, much brighter than vintage ones or Scumback clones. Not bad but nothing to write home about. Seems a little pricey at $750 but maybe $600 or less would be more reasonable.