79 Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JamesT, Feb 25, 2015.

1. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Hi and thanks. My job is a long way frm home so I had to rent an apartment. I bought a MIM Nashville Tele and one of those cream colored
    Yamaha THR amps.

I found a 79 all orignal PR but reverb does not work. They said they think it is a bad tank. It is $850.

What do y'all thnk?

2. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Decent reverb tanks are like $25. Sounds like it's in the ballpark.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

^ Yep, if you just need a new pan, no biggie. Could also be the tube. I've tried MOD pans and liked them, but thought they sounded significantly different (for better or worse) than my an old Accutronics. Revisit pans look cool though.

4. dcbc

dcbc Member

If it is otherwise perfect, there's not much to getting the reverb working. One or two tubes, new wires, new reverb pan at the most, and perhaps a few bits of the circuit to work through. The diagnosis will be the cost. Unplug the wires from a known-working fender amp with reverb and plug the wires into the PR. If the reverb works, it's the wiring or the pan. If not, check the tubes that are in the reverb circuit on the PR. If that doesn't work, it's probably something in the circuit that shouldn't be hard for a competent tech to figure out. At $850, there's enough room for this diagnosis and to still feel like you got a good deal IMO.

5. StevenO

StevenO Member

Get it. I bought a late 70s Princeton Reverb from the emporium here a few years ago and it's easily the best amp I've ever owned (especially after I put a 50 watt Weber 10F150T in it), and I own several vintage Fender amps throughout the amp range and eras. Just a fantastic amp!

6. zenas

zenas Member

Will you be needing a tech or can you fix it yourself ? If the reverb doesn't work it's also probably never been serviced. By the time a tech gets done doing it right even if it's not the pan or reverb tranny (probably isn't) you'll be well over a grand.
    DIY it's just the cost of parts and your time.

Also for an apartement amp find the most ineffient speaker you can get. Last thing you want is some 100 db at one watt thing. So forget the blues and golds that people will reccomend.
    A healthy Princeton Reverb get's pretty loud in a small space if want to get the tubes working at all.

7. StevenO

StevenO Member

Yep, these amps can get LOUD. Like, seriously loud. So, a nice 15 or 20 watt speaker would work nicely (if it has the stock CTS ceramic, you should be fine. It's bright but not too piercing and gets quite dirty). With that said, my PR with the upgraded Weber sounds really nice at low volumes too.

8. psyandy

psyandy Member

I think $850 is fine if you know it's 100% restorable at that price. These push/pull boost units are not nearly as attractive in resale, so be careful. I would shoot lower on price than that if there are issue in need of repair.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

$850 is a really good price for a fully working 79, and a decent but not remarkable price for one with problems. Servicing the amp (filter caps and repair of the reverb is gonna set you back $100 or so), if it needs tubes you're going to be slightly under-water when all is said and done. I'd try and get $100 off that price if it were me, and I'd probably walk if I couldn't.

10. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

I have a '78 and it's one of two amps I'm keeping forever.

It was a little weak when I got it, so I only paid $250 for it. My tech just did a basic tuneup and it's easily one of the best sounding Fenders I've heard.

12. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Wowee!!! Loudboy is a lucky boy. :D

I would have to pay someone to fix it. The only really good amp tech is in Georgia so I would have to UPS it.

This one also needed a new AC cord. Not only someone had broken off the ground prong they had yanked it out of the wall outlet so many times the insulation was pulled from the plug so you could see the wires and stuffing...

It was at a store and originally it was priced at $999. I got it for $850 + almost $50 in sales tax making it $900 and figured with everything it would cost me at least $100-maybe $150 more so I took it back.

Although I did not speak to a manager because of it being a busy Saturday afternoon after explaining it to one of the sales guys said, "Well, they already dropped the price $150". I told him if they would drop it more to give me a call and I thought he was going to growl at me. :roll

It sure did sound good even with Groove Tubes...

Thanks for your help! :beer

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015