79 Vintage Fender Princeton vrs Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dacula789, Mar 31, 2015.

1. dacula789

dacula789 Member

Im thinking about getting a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue and wanted to find out the tonal differences between it and my Princeton. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

I have had both (well, the princeton was a SFPR). In a non-techinical sense, I found myself always battling the BD tone stack/controls trying to find the best sound where the PR always just sounded great. PR=simple fender awesomeness, BD=bigger, boxier, more complex, not as clean. I miss my PR but not the BD at all. Both are great amps though and the BD has much more firepower so as always, it depends on what you will be using it for. They are very different so might be a good complement for each other, but if you are looking for the sound of the PR in a bigger package, the BD is not the way I would go.

3. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

Yeah, what he said. lol If your Princeton is loud enough for what you do, you would never be able to open up the blues deluxe. If you do get one, be sure to get a good set of tubes where you can bias it right. They come very coldly biased, same as HotRods and man o man do they sound way better biased hotter. (See Eurotubes website for easy instructions)

4. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

P.S. It seems like a Deluxe Reverb would be a closer "bigger Princeton". Good luck

5. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you meant by "complex", but hopefully not in terms of tone. In my opinion, the Princeton(and DRRI, for that matter) have way more complexity of tone than does the Blues Deluxe. I owned a BD. If you need a loud, clean amp, it is a really good option. The 2nd channel on the BD is somewhat sterile, and is best used as a solo boost rather than an overdrive channel, in my opinion.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The Blues Deluxe will stay cleaner a lot longer. It has a lot more power. The PR will be a very toneful amp but only to a certain point and then give it up and get gnarly. The BD will be hard to tame down volume wise and still sound good in small situations.

7. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Yeah, complex is probably the wrong word, maybe colored. BD is not what i describe as the proverbial "fender cleans" where the PR and DRRI are in spades. Lol, trying to describe tone is no-win. And I liked the BD a lot and could have happily played and gigged it forever if it was my only choice, just better options out there for me.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Princeton Reverb is the best sounding BF/SF Fender, bar none. And a 79 is so close to BF as to make little difference. If it were me, I'd keep the Princeton and save my pennies for an Unleash V2 or a Powerstation and a larger speaker cab.