8-bit fuzz and video game music

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by carltonh, Sep 18, 2006.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

I have a 4 yr. old now, who has discovered our old NES and N64 and become a video game addict already. Because Super Mario is his new favorite person, I end up playing Super Mario themes on my guitar and realize just how good the music was in that 85-95 era of video games . (I don't know about other eras.)

So I stumble across the 8-Bit Fuzz at www.fxdoctor.com and it does sound quite impressive, though I have just as much fun playing those tunes with more standard guitar tones.

So anyone else play video game music? Have any preferred tone generators for it? Anyone try the 8-Bit Fuzz? Anyone know of free tabs for video game music? Also just discovered www.vgmusic.com, seems like it maybe useful.

2. Antero

Antero Member

I think these guys are the best known Nintendo-music players:

http://www.theadvantageband.com

The drummer is the guitarist in Hella, which is kind of a hypertechnical noise-rock-free-jazz thing.

3. bucky

bucky Active Member

Beware of FX Doctor. He has screwed over a lot of people before.

4. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Sonic, Mario, Bomberman - all chock full of great melodies. Amazing what they could do with such limited space and sounds :AOK

5. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

6. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I believe it was Buckethead who, when improvising, liked to imagine himself as a video game hero running through a maze of Nintendo madness.

And yes there are some extremely talented musicians working in the vid game business. Probably just as an aside too cause everyone knows musicians make the best computer programers.

Bob

7. inscho

inscho Senior Member

+1!! :BITCH

8. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

I love playing with my MXR Blue Box on the upper register, very Atari like

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I will do a recording of my Mario Bros. theme at some point... I worked it all once out and did a multi-track recording, you need 3 guitars to play all the parts (bassline, melody, counter/chord melody)... that recording is gone (hard drive died). Fun party trick... cool composition! Underground level is awesome!

The HR-2 is good for computer sounding stuff, it does a better job at sounding fake than the POG... hehe... Also, an envelope filter in the "down" position is good!

10. diegs

diegs Member

although this strays from the effects portion of things, check out the song "Smb" by the band Ulu off of "Live at the Wetlands" (it's on itunes, and i recommend the whole album).

jazzy vibe, crazy effects on the guitar and sax. my favorite cover, it's just great.

11. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

The atari fuzz setting on the zvex fuzz factory is pretty fun!