8 ohm vs 16 ohm - Same Model Speaker - Tonal differences

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Braciola, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Because of the different inductance, the same model 8 ohm speaker will not sound quite the same as the 16 ohm.

Understanably, the interaction with OT inductance will also play a part in the tone as well, but with all things being equal, what would the tonal differences be between the same model 8 ohm speaker and the 16 ohm?

Do you prefer the tone of one over the other?

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I emailed this question to "the tone doctor" over at Celestion.
    Interesting reply....

There are only slight tonal differences between 8 and 16ohm most of which comes from the way the amp interacts with that impedance. Generally a 16 ohm is a little tighter at the bottom end but it is only very slight.
    regards
    The Doctor

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

This has been my experience as well. The difference between 8 & 16 ohm speakers is negligible. I think it's one of those "speaker myths" that should be ignored.

I know alot of folks who swear they can tell the difference in tone, but I feel they've based their opinions on old speakers that had manufacturing or other cone/aging differences, and that's how that myth got started.

4. alanfc

alanfc Member

bonus question, related to this I believe:

RE: Ohmage/speakers/etc.

whats the difference between:

A. running one cable out from the 8 ohm speaker output #1 on my amp, to a cab with 2x 16 ohm speakers.

or

B. running one cable out from my 8 ohm speaker output #1 , and one cable out from my 8 ohm Speaker out #2>>>
    into my cab with 2x 8 ohm speakers, wired independently with their own jacks?

I have a 2x12, with 2x 16 ohm speakers in there, and I run one cable from my 8 ohm output into one jack in the cab (mono Avatar cab)

I asked because I have a few 8 ohm speakers layin around and want to try some different things in the 2x12.
    So I was going to try them in the cab with their own jacks, almost as if I was plugging into 2 separate 8 ohm speakers from my 2 8 ohm outputs from the amp. hope that makes sense/thanks