8 or 16 ohm speaker; difference in sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bruvtilov, May 26, 2008.

1. Bruvtilov

Bruvtilov Member

Hello everybody,

I own aPeavey Ultra 112 tube amp. I'mthinking about replacing the stock speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30. I can get a good deal on a 16 ohm one. The stock speaker is 8 ohms, but there's a switch on the back of the amp that allows you to choose 4/8/16 ohms for the internal speaker.

My question is: apart from the obvious change in sound from Peavey to Celestion speaker, will the change from 8 to 16ohm make any difference to the sound of the amp?

Thanks,

Robert

2. Bruvtilov

Bruvtilov Member

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Read long ago the focus of sound would change... would it turn loser the higher ohmage you have (?). Don't remember too well now.

4. StevoDOD

StevoDOD Member

Usually when no one replies, no one knows! I have the same question and I'm wondering if the 16 ohms s-p-r-e-a-d-s out the sound?

Ideas?

Stevo

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Interesting its an Ultra 112. I have the same amp. Ive owned it since new back in 1997.Great amp! I dont think Ive heard much difference between ohm ratings in speakers per say but I have heard a difference running amps at different loads(ohm settings). Some amps seem to sound slightly different with different ohm loads.My Ultra happens to be the one amp I own thats most sensitive to different impedance loads.
    At 16 ohms its brightest and has the most highs. At 4 ohms it has the least highs. I prefer 16 ohm speakers for this reason with it. Bob