8 ply marine grade birch plywood?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lumberjake, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lumberjake

lumberjake Member

Will this be ok for a guitar cab? Its the only voidless plywood I can find in my area. And he said it is 8 ply including the outer veneer layers.

Will this be ok or would I be better off just buying a cab?

I want to clone my Emperor 4x12, but if it is going to sound sub par I wont even bother.

What do you think? :huh

2. mxandmyax

mxandmyax Member

it really won't sound tooooo much different, It will be much more difficult to dovetail and round over. It will sound somewhat different though.

3. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Do you have that kind of wood working equipment? A 4x12 is a pretty big box, are you going to finger joint it?

RRC

4. lumberjake

lumberjake Member

I believe I have all the tools I need.

I was planning on using dovetail joints...

5. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I hope you haz a high buck dovetailing jig. The elcheapo Harbor freight job won't do a dovetail bigger than 12" and one piece is limited to, IIRC 10.5"
    For a cab that big I'd go with cleats. You can't get cab grade birch? Marine grade is waaay overkill unless you plan on playing at the bottom of the sea.

6. lumberjake

lumberjake Member

haha Well I do have a gig in the atlantic next month....

Everyone I have called doesnt even understand what I mean by voidless when I ask for it. I have to explain it has to be voidless all the way through and none of them seem to know.

One company just returned my call and said they have marine grade birch in 10 ply 3/4". it was around 90 a sheet.

7. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Dovetails are not the best joint for plywood, finger, or rebate's will give good results.

8. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

The ply you specified dosnt seem right for authentic Baltic Birch. 3/4" will be 13 ply.

Im not sure where you live but if your in the states woodcraft will ship you very good baltic birch at a reasonable price. Just make sure you order all the wood you need because if you need more, ordering one sheet will most likely get warped during shipment. But im lucky enough to have found a lumberyard that sells me grade A sheets big enough to cover a 4x12 for 75!

No need for marine grade either as Ive soaked normal baltic ply for days with no seperation and its cheeper.

All BB is voidless, well sold as voidless. Dont be alarmed if you find a few.

If you have a table saw, sander, clamps, router, bits and a big enough jig..

Have fun