8" speakers...........who makes them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sparky1358, Jan 24, 2008.

1. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

I am looking to build a 2x8 cabinet and searching for 8" sopeakers but all I seem to find are ones meant for acoustic guitar. Would those work fine in an electric guitar applaication or is there something I am missing.

I found Jensen makes some but have no experience with them.

Can someone help me pickt he right speaker for say classic rock/van halen type stuff. Nothing too heavy but good midrange.

Also would I be better off wioth a 1x10 or a 2x8 set up?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Most eight inch speakers are not for rock music.They tend to be for more classic blues/vintage rock and roll stuff.
    Go to www.webervst.com and look at his speakers.He has lots of eights and tens to choose from and describes what they do.
    a one ten eminence Ramrod speaker would be killer for your style of music.They think they are twelve inch because they are loud and sound great.

3. AL30

AL30 Member

Charlie Powers at Guitar CPR in Fairmont WV makes 8 inch speakers. They are definitely rock speakers and are voiced kind of dark. The will stand up to some punishment. I have a 2x8" cab that I have been using for years. They're surprisingly "beefy" sounding speakers.

I used a BF Bassman through the 2x8" cab on all four songs on my old bands page. It's most noticeable at the very beginning of "Chorpus Christi" and the picking parts on "There You Are Again"

http://www.myspace.com/americansoundsyndicate

I'm not sure if he has any left at the moment but if you are interested PM me and I will give you his phone # (or you can probably Google it).

AL

4. garytube

garytube Member

Tone Tubby makes an 8" ceramic hemp speaker rated at 40 watts RMS. I just got one for my tweed champ project, but I haven't used it yet....

5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

hey Gary, how much was that baby? Let us know how it sounds too.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

Weber has many different electric guitar 8" speakers.

7. Boogs

Boogs Member

Weber makes good 8" speakers, but as has been said, they might not make it for music that was born of full stacks.

+1 on the Ramrod for 10" speaker, but more than one. Maybe a 20x10" cab? ;)

Really, I'd look to an Eminence GB12. It has the reputation of being "Greenback-ish", but it doesn't break up as early. Great speakers for a variety of music, and sweet mids indeed.