$800 for a Strat, what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by radiohead625, Apr 21, 2015.

1. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

After taking a trip to my local, my bandmates told me I "NEED" to purchase a Strat. I tried to sell them on a Jazzmaster, but they insisted a Strat was the sound our band was missing. The problem was the Strat I picked up was upwards of $2,000.

I've got $800 to spend and I'm looking for the best Hendrix sound I can get. I love all of his tones, but what stands out the most to me are his clean tones(Little Wing and Wind Cries Mary) and the Band of Gypsies sound.

What Strat should I be looking at?

2. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

Personally, I'd go for a used American Special.

3. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Used American Standard

4. sanrico

sanrico Member

If you have $800, you could get an American Standard. There are a couple of really good deals in the Emporium right now.

5. airportbar

airportbar Member

Another vote for used American Standard.

6. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

If you don't mind a 7.25" Radius, the Lacquer Series Stratocasters are great. Used American would a great choice as well. And I'm not joking, try a Squier Classic Vibe.

Then, for $100 you can score a set of Fender Pure '65 pickups. They're not just nice for the price, they are nice

Here's them in a roadworn. Hendrix? Yep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrjpLr1FA8

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Get a time machine, go back to 1980 and buy a 1960 Strat for $800 like I did. Whatever you do, don't sell it in 1983 for $1200 like I also did...

Seriously, I'd get an early 00s American Standard. A friend has a 2001 and it's a great guitar.

8. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Most any SSS Strat will get that sound, the rest is amp and fingers. A used American Standard will get that for around $800. If you like the vintage feel of smaller frets and 7.25 radius, the MIM Classic 50s/60s Strats are $800 new.

9. David Garner

David Garner Member

Seconded. In that price range, it's one of the best I've heard. The problem is, an American Special or American Standard isn't really optimized for Hendrix-type tones, but the reality is any Strat ought to be able to cover that ground, and if you don't like the pickups (Texas Specials in the Special, Fat 50s in the Standard), you can always sell them and get another set you do like. The CS69s are probably the ones for what you're after.

Don't sleep on the MIMs though. A good one is an outstanding guitar. I have an EJ Strat and a MIM with upgraded electronics and hardware. I suppose the EJ is better (it looks better, I prefer the neck, it's made of better wood, etc.). It's my favorite guitar, bar none. But I bet if I switched between it and the MIM and asked the unwashed masses to tell me which is better, it would be a lot closer to 50/50 than most people think.

10. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Well I vote for something different, a used Road Worn...

11. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Any strat properly EQed should get you in the ballpark in a band situation IMO . Go for the one that feels right in your hands.

12. slider

slider Member

Used G&L Legacy. And you'll have money left over for a fancy strap or something.

13. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I think the next time you hit a guitar store you should play Strats in your $800 price range instead of ones that cost $2000 and up. Or perhaps tell your band mates to bugger off.

14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I'd agree with that.

If not that, I would probably get an MIM, then use the rest of the money to tweak and change out parts you find yourself not liking as well. That way you can end up with a guitar that combines all of what you want, rather than being stuck with what you get.

15. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

If none of the Fender Strats float your boat, you could give Steve Benford a call. Tell him what you want and he'll tell you what he can do within your budget. Looks like his base prices have gone up about $100 since I last bought from him, but he should be able to make you something quite satisfactory for $800 or even a little less.

http://www.benfordguitars.com/

16. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

17. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Classic Player 60s Strat is another good option. Find one used and you'll even come in under budget.

18. ajchance

ajchance Member

19. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

American Standard from 2012 or newer. Some of Hendrx' sound came from having the bridge pickup backwards and from his amps.

20. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I would just play what I want to play.