80k pots were in my 1982 Greco Les Paul~????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DonM, Jul 7, 2008.

1. DonM

DonM Member

80k pots were in my 1982 Greco Les Paul, dunno what the heck for, but it was factory
    - putting in 500ks now.
    I rewound the Factory Dimarzio PAFs
    using a formula for Peter Greens pup.

should be better -- I hope!

those 80k pots with the .022 Oil Paper cap full back / Dark - did sound like Junior Watson West Coast Swing... But I want a Killer 58' Lester
    _ I can make a Swing guitar with 80k pots using a Epi or something else..

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I bet it was very dark and muted sounding.

3. DonM

DonM Member

a little - but because i run the treble on 10 and roll off tone - i guess it escaped me.. hehe

sounds great now - got 500's and the buckers i rewound to 7.4 and 8.6..:banana

4. AlexF

AlexF Member

dont know what's been going on there, they've been 500k in every Greco I've seen. I've been enjoying the stock dimarzios in my '84 model quite a bit recently, very clear and sweet.
    Al

5. DonM

DonM Member

I took my 82' PAF Dimarzios apart - heres what I found;

loose wound - poly insulated wire -
    each coil was within .25k from each other - not mismatched at all really - the magnet gauss was down about 200 to 300 gauss - the pups were both 8k.

not bad really & they were defiantly close to the original 58' PAFS.. and also they were far better for the time - then the Gibson issued pups of the time!( round 1980's)

Hand winding them here, allowed tighter coils - true scatter + my secret "Josie" pattern - the mismatching of the 2 coils per Humbucker allowed for better string definition and EQ freq's. and organics...etc
    recharging the magnets to 600 gauss from 350 - also helped with Bell tones and added output.

using Fomvar coated (heavy build) insulated magnet wire awg 42 on the screw coil and Plain Enamel wire awg 42 on the Slug + over winding the slug coil 500 turns. about .40k is the recipe I downloaded for that old Peter Green Les Paul tone.. seems to nail it! - it was 10:30pm so I barely got to test it - will crank it today - but far as I could tell (Clean) it was incredible --

"08k pots" (80k) was pretty strange - may have been unintentional ???? sure would like to know -
    one thinks for sure it did give it a Vintage Guitar Vibe. but pretty much took away true PAF/58's Les Paul tones..

cheers
    Don M

6. AlexF

AlexF Member

thanks for the pup winding info Don, very interesting. the dimarzios in my 2 greco's measure around 7.4K, definitely some magnet fading as you say. I do quite like the faded magnet sound on paf types, like antiquities. I definitely think the pots are a mistake or a change.
    regards
    Al