80's 335 Dot Re-issues?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ryguy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

I am possibly looking for a 335 around 2K, and have seen people here speak really highly of the early 80's DOT RI's; I have no experience with them, and can't try any out right now, but am looking for any feedback from those familiar with them. What is the neck profile for these, and is it pretty standard?

thanks,
    Ryan

2. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I have a 335 dot RI from within the first couple of months from the release.
    it is awesome. Definately in the top 3 playing instruments I have (out of 23). it can pretty much play anything I try to throw through it. an absolute bargain. I have also heard that the early one's have Tim Shaw Humbuckers
    is there any way I can tell?

3. cap'n rory

cap'n rory Member

Shaw pickups will have an inked number in addition to a stamped patent number. The inked number will have a three number prefix indicating the type, bridge or neck followed by a four number sequence indicating production date.
    Examples would be: 329 0630 indicating neck pickup produced June 30. and
    330 0630 indicating a bridge pickup produced on the same date.
    I've learned this from a thread on the Les Paul forum, on the other Gibsons side of the forum.
    I must check mine when I do a bridge and lightweight tailpiece swap at the next string change. My guitar just got back from a refret as I hated the low wide original frets. It now has the standard Gibson 6130 type frets on it. I lost the nibs, but got Mike Tuttle style bullet end fret dress and I'm real happy with them. The tech also changed out the pots to 500K volumes and tones and left the original capacitors. I meant to ask him whether he noticed the ink numbers on the back of the pickups, but it slipped my memory, to do so.
    Talk on the LP forum says the early Dot re-issues are the closest to the golden era 335's. I knew mine was a good guitar, and the re-fret to my preferences has helped. I'll know more when I go to a lightweight aluminum tailpiece and a Faber ABR bridge that will fit on the Nashville bridge posts. I'll check for Shaw numbers then.
    I've seen others of that vintage with ABR type bridges, but mine was equipped with a "top adjust" Schaller bridge, a type known to be used in early Dots The good thing about mine is it has a large profile neck and it's a plainly figured tobacco sunburst. The jazz guitarist Steve Khan has used a 335 that looks identical to mine for years. Any other questions ? PM me, regards, Rory

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

They are fantastic guitars. I recently sold my 89 ES-335 Dot. Nothing but great things to say about it.

5. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I have a 1990 335-DOT which I purchased new. That was the last year of the 81-90 reissues. It's a great playing and sounding guitar and at $1100 in 90 I wish I had bought a couple. I think Gibsons from the 80's and early 90's are some of the best instruments they ever produced.

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i've had a couple. overrated IMO. The tim shaw pickups were dark sounding to me. One interesting note is that at some point in the 80s, they didn't have a solid block running through the guitar. They cut out the area between the pickups to make it easier for wiring I suppose. This gave the guitar more of a heritage 535 type of sound. I think if you get a good one, the new ones sound better. My 339 blows away the early '80s 335 I had. No comparison...

7. stratlad

stratlad Member

I have a mid-80s 335. Frankly it sucked even after a pickup change. Bad wood or something. I don't even play it and would sell it but my kids want it around b/c it looks cool (it does). Newer 335's I've played sound generally good to great and I have a CS 336 that floats my boat.