80's Boss pedals: value?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Griz, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Griz

Griz Member

Specifically,

A Boss CE-2 and a Boss SD-1, both purchased in 1981. Are these appreciating at all in value?

Cheers.
    :drink

2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

According to the 2008 Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide, a Boss CE-2 (which was only produced between 1979 and 1982) in excellent condition typically sells for between a low price of $45 and a high of $95 US, while a model of the SD-1 produced from any time between 1981 and 1989 is valued in excellent condition from a low of $45 to a high of $85.

3. Griz

Griz Member

Doh!

At least they're not depreciating too badly.

Yeah, all my old Boss pedals are pretty much pristine. Still have the boxes, even some sales receipts. It just struck me: dang; if that pedal was a woman, she'd have wrinkles by now...
    :roll

I can laugh. I'm a 53 year old male with lots of wear and tear. No disrespect to intended towards mature women, in case anyone asks.

4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I'll tell you the real pisser for me. Around 1990 I purchased an Alesis Quadraverb Plus for $400. Since this had several "cool" digital delays built into it, I decided that it would be okay to loan a friend of mine my c. 1983, well-maintained Boss DM-2 analog delay pedal (the 300 ms model with the hot pink case); I purchased the pedal at a used instrument store for $40. This same friend subsequently joined the navy and moved away, and never returned the pedal.

Flash forward to 2008. According to the same price guide as above, the Quadraverb is now worth about $100, and the Boss pedal is worth between $170 and $245 US. Story of my life...

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I'd love to know what my BF1 is worth......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xVGSD0RpzQ

I've thought about selling it and even had it on ebay, but every time i get it out to clean it and check it's ready for sale...... well ......you know.....

6. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I won't comment on the SD-1, because I really don't know/follow that pedal.

That guide is not really in line on the CE-2. While Roland maintains 1979-1982 production, they were produced until 1990. They stopped "promoting" the pedal in 1982, but continued cranking them out due to popularity. Several features are used to date them, including the battery cover screw, screening size, and underside label color.

CE-2s, if MIJ with a silver screw, are worth the most, followed by MIJ with black screws. There were also differences in the 'Chorus CE-2' label width (earlier ones had a wider label) and black or green backing lables (black until 1984, then green) that account for rarity. In 1988 final production was moved to Tawain, and the MIJ was discontinued.

A mint CE-2 with a silver screw bring over $200 (I've seen some top $300), but hover in the $125-$150 range if not in terrible shape. Most of the black screw MIJ models will fetch $100-$125 easily, if they are in good shape. Add about $10-$15 if you still have the box & inserts.

Finally the Tawain models (last one before being discontinued) will bring $60-$100 depending on condition. I paid about $80 for a mint one that was missing it's box. I bought the Tawain model to send to Keeley to get modded. I didn't want to mod a MIJ vintage pedal, so I sought out the Tawain verison. But haven't been able to part with it long enough to get it modded. :D

7. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

Those boss bf1 flangers are so good, and generally I'm not a modulation fan. I'm surprised they don't get more attention.

8. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Yeah I think the prices haev gone up a bit lately!

Ive been searching for a CE-2 Jap for a while for a reasonable price!

9. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

The earliest BOSS OD1 are worth some money. ROund $250-$300 and going up. IF you have the right one. I had my semi vintage one upgraded with a NOS 3403D 16 prong chip and push-pull clipping mod ! WOW for runnin through a 1981 JCM800 and an fx loop with an H2O!!! Yeeh aw TONE BABY!

10. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I have a mint CE-2 MIJ silver screw, black label. Why is this valuable?

11. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Because its an early one.

12. GuiltySpark

Value is based on demand. That's the most popular & earliest one, hence it's worth the most. As far as sound goes... I've not really been convinced that any of the Jap ones sound any different, but production lines always see component changes as items are bought in lots and stuff becomes unavailable, etc... There may be differences in components, but I've not found it documented anywhere.

I do know that many people believe that the Tawain models sound "less" desirable... but they can be tweaked using an internal trimpot. I believe that the specs are same as MIJ, but Boss stopped taking the time to adjust them and just sent them out as-is, where ever the trimpot happened to be set to.

13. GuiltySpark

BTW - There is an SG-1 on eBay right now. Crazy money!

14. burythemisery

burythemisery Member

i'm curious to why they stopped making these old pedals. i know that boss comes out with better pedals and then the older ones become obsolete, but i still think it would be cool to keep those around!

15. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Poor sales on some of them and lack of BBD chips??

16. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

17. GuiltySpark

18. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

19. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

My guess is he's going to mod it! ;)

20. Griz

Griz Member

Cool! My CE-2 is the rare one (black label, silver screw) and it's basically pristine. Still have the box; no receipt though. I never saved it for it's potential "vintage" value; just didn't need another chorus pedal. Can't remember the last time I actually used chorus as an effect. Not since back in the 80's, I guess.