80s hair metal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jj jafar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

What pedal into an already overdriven amp cops stuff like Dokken,Ratt,Scorpions,ect?I tried the Crunchbox and it has the balls but I feel its a bit to much for an amp already breaking up.Also I think Im leaning towards the Tubescreamer slight mid-hump type tone.Any thoughts welcomed.Thanks,Jason
    P.S. Im running a Les Paul with Pearly Gates into a JCM 800 2203 through a 4x12 with Celestion Heritage G12Ms.

2. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Try the MXR Wylde overdrive. It will give you added sustain and easy pinch harmonics.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Don't waste your money on a Zakk - the switch is going to break on you and you'll be frustrated.

I recommend the Subdecay Blackstar. A little more money than the Zakk, but built to last and sounds great. Just the thing to push an amp over the cliff. Very responsive to touch.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Alot of pedals will do this. Just about anything with a mid-hump. Going into an already-pushing amp, every boost pedal I own (except the RC Booster) will do this. FD2, SD-1, Vox Big Ben, Varidrive, and several others I've sold.

Boss is the cheap way to do it: SD-1's are like $40 new. But my Vox Big Ben does it extremely well. I've heard alot of people like the Tonebones for 80's tones.

5. bailnout

bailnout Member

The switches on the Zakk Wylde pedal are fragile or something? I thought they were the tried and true little metal crunch buttons. Huh!

I would say tone wise that Zakk Wylde pedal would be a great combination with your 2203 for 80s metal. Before they made that pedal for him he was using a Boss OD-1 which you might find gets you where you want to go.

I used an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS10 with my Jubilee for years (actually back in the 80s covering all those bands you mentioned). Not really a cork sniffers pedal but IMHO it's tailor made for those Marshalls. Set your amp to give you the best dirty rhythm tone and then set the Tube Screamer to all knobs at 12 o'clock to kick in for leads and your heavy rhythm tones from the 80s. It's buttery.

NOTE: the Tube Screamer really won't give you much of a level boost for solos at all, just a thicker more sustained higher gain tone. For live you'll need your sound engineer to push your channel up at the board to be heard out front over the rest of the band. You may even want him to push you up in your monitor a little bit to get that louder stage volume that's nice when you go into a lead.

6. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Here is what these different groups used in the 80's.

Dokken- Lynch used the Ibanes ts-808 tube screamer.
    Van Halen used his Boss SD-1 this was the 80's so it was a japanese model not the new taiwan model.
    Yngwie-Used an old DOD -250 overdrive.
    Randy rhodes- Used an old mxr overdrive.

7. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

I can hear that tubescreamer mid-hump in all those bands so Im pretty sure Im going with a screamer type pedal.I use a Fulltone fatboost in my setup so a little bass loss isnt that big a deal either.Now out of 100 differant TSs out there which to get is the question!:confused: Jason

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

LOL!!! That is a good question. Maybe the best thing to do is start with the cheapest you can find on the used market. If you don't like it, turn it back around and get the next cheapest model. Keep doing that until you have found one that works for you.

Personally I find my $50 TS10 gets the job done for me. YMMV.

9. gpro34

gpro34 Member

A lot of guys have the ts-808 for their guitar solos and another pedal for crunch rythm parts. There are many mods for the ts-808 so you can get that old tube screamer sound. I like the keeley mod-plus and the analogman TV mod.These are a little different, the best thing is just try everything you can.

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Just to be different...try a treble booster with a full range option. Apart from the Cornish stuff i've tried and liked the Don Butler/Tone man stuff. Works great for a solid 'classic' tone... :)

11. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

ToneBone hot British nails those tones!

12. somedude

somedude Member

MXR Wylde OD into a chorus pedal. Stay away from the old ones, the initial release had sh*tty stomp switches.

13. MrMunky

MrMunky Supporting Member

Actually, there is a holy-grail, ideal pedal for this---specifcally for the JCM 800.

It's the original Marshall Guv'nor pedal. They're on eBay all the time.

Run it into your Marshall, max the "volume" and turn the gain up until you get just the right amount of distortion, Turn the mid and treble up all the way, and the bass maybe halfway.

its like a match made in heaven.

14. el34power

el34power Member

Digiteck DF-7 in the low input. Like it or not i haven t found anything as versatile for my 2203.

15. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

From what I heard the MXR fixed the problem with the switch. It was just on the first couple of runs they had a problem . I beat the crap out of mine without a problem.

16. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I hear germ treble boosters in some of that Ratt and Dokken stuff.

17. dosmun

dosmun Member

A lot of OD's will get you there. What you don't want is something that adds much low end as it will just turn an already dirty amp into mud. I used to use a TS-10 stacked with a Boss Blues Driver and got great tones out of my 71' SL. I used the BD-2 for rhythm and kick in the TS for extra balls on the leads. If you don't have the amp set too dirty a Rat pedal will get you your 80's sounds. If the amp is too dirty the Rat mushes up the sound but when the amp is set at low gain the Rat kicks a Marshall in the ass.

18. Badger71

Badger71 Member

FoxRox Electronics ZIM. Two swappable cards in one chassis. Mine is loaded currently with the H9 and B9 cards....but I've got a VT for a little lighter breakup. Basically a modded TS with another less mids TS. It comes loaded with two cards, but you can trade them in for different flavors of od/boost. Very versatile and, in the long run, worth the extra dough as opposed to buying cheap. I can cop just about any feel I crave with that pedal. He also has a card built just for this sound. I think it's the TAR+, but I'm not sure. Check out his sight.