80's Heritage Gibson limba guitars...

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Yes, Im talking about the V's Explorers and Moderne's...

Anybody know what those stock pickups are??

They have gold covers, single bradid wire and a pat# on the back of them but I have never known for sure what they are besides stock Gibson pickup...any clue???

JoeB

Reputed to be Tim Shaw humbuckers...Shawbuckers. Don't know if this is true or not as Gibson has not identified models designated for the Shawbuckers beyond the Heritage Les Paul.

JoeB

There's another thread on this forum asking about Tim Shaw pickups which quotes a lot of good info from the LPF and other sources. I asked about them to avoid taking my Moderne apart and supposedly it (and the Korina V's) had them. All I know is that it sounds great.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Stock on the Vs and Modernes were the pickups with the "pat.appl.for"sticket on the pickup rings which I understand were what is now known as Shaw's. Also used on 335 Dot reissues in the early 80s among others.

jeffwith1f

Interesting. I have one of the early 335 "dot" releases and recently came into a Moderne. Both sound fantastic. The 335 in particuar is possibly the best sounding overall guitar I have ever played.

AdmiralB

I had a Heritage V, serial simply "006" with a "Original Gibson Prototype" stamp in the headstock.

It had Shaws, no sticker, just an inked patent number on the baseplates. No potting, double black under gold covers, DCR in the low 7K range.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
One more thing...does anybody know if those limba guitars had 300k or 500k pots?? My bridge volume and tone locked up on mine years ago and I tossed them...I'd love to know what the value was on them...

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Mine had 300Ks.
I had a feeling you'd say that!

The bridge volume and the tone control in my Moderne locked up a while back, when I put new pots in it I went with 500k's. At the same time I changed pikckups...tha means I've never tried the Shaws with 500k pots...that might get back some of the cut I felt like I was missing! Maybe it's time to pop the Shaws back in and see what shakes loose...

Trending Topics