80s Kramer Guitars. Pointy headstock guys chime in.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jiffy_Jeff, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I was looking at getting an 80s Kramer guitar to go with a set my cover band does.

We do one or two sets, depending on the gig, of 80s hair band stuff. Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Skid Row, etc.....

I thought one of these would give a good look for the tunes.

What Kramers form the 80s are good to get? Something that is reasonably priced. Maybe just a single pickup, neon green. Out there..

What should I look for?

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I've seen USA-made Pacers for cheapity-cheap, like $500. I like those guitars a lot, and they're the flagship of the Strat-like Kramer line.

There was a cool one at ChrisGuitars.com recently.

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Any of the Kramer Barettas.

4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

If you can't find a decent Kramer, I recommend a neon-yellow Chinese BC Rich Gunslinger for $299, set it up properly and you're good to go for your 80's set with minimum financial commitment. Looks the part, especially if you slap a vinyl bio hazard graphic on it :p and it will definitely sound the part.
    [​IMG]

Dannyz likes this.
  5. stump

stump Member

Kramer American series Pacer or Baretta are excellent guitars. The Pacers come in a wider variety of finishes, holoflash and flip flop in addition to regular finishes. Pre 1985 Vanguard(flying V) and Voyager(star shape) scream '80's.

6. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

My first real guitar was a 1986 Kramer Baretta. That was a cool guitar and I stupidly sold it about ten years ago. It wasn't practical for me anymore, but it was super cool. The stock pickup was a SD JB and it screamed. Well made guitars from Neptune, NJ.

7. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I still have my,SSH Candy Apple Red 1984 Pacer. The finish is impervious to the elements,accidents,play wear,ect... It only has some buckle rash on the back,the pickguard shows more wear than the body! Pickups have been replaced many times, SD Trembucker in their now and the stock single coils. My only live guitar from 1984-1996.

8. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

I just set up one of the new Japanese Charvel guitars for a buddy...he paid under $600 for it and it is every bit as good as any of the original 80's shredders I've ever had....you can get them in some pretty sick colors if memory serves me...

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/?section=promod

9. Bankston

Bankston Member

Charvel > Kramer

10. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Saw a Focus 6000 just the other day on the 'bay great guitar..

11. snowblind56

snowblind56 Member

One of the best guitars that I ever played was a Kramer Stagemaster, which was their equivalent to the Jackson Soloist. Unbelievable guitar. Expensive though.

12. RBfan

RBfan Member

I just cleaned & set-up my Focus (Japan made) 2000 from the early/mid '80's with OFR. I took out the cheap OEM pickups & put in GFS vintage '59's (I know, not really intended for a Focus, but I like 'em). I guess the pick-up arrangement kinda depends on what you're going to play. I love having this as an alternative to the single coils on the strat I've been playing for about 5 years.

The OFR is a pain to set up, but once you have it, it stays more or less in tune unless you change string guages. Changing the pups was a breeze too, 1st time for me.

These are not expensive, but may come with cheap pups you may want to change - still, they play very nice & in my experience are well put together.

T

13. todd921

todd921 Member

I've had a late 80's pointy-droopy pacer for 20+ years. Was my #1 for a looong time...and still a favorite.
    Great guitar - insanely low action, HSS, coil splitter. With the stock Duncans it does great strat and hair sounds. Thin/flat shredder neck that has rarely needed adjustment (maybe twice in 20 years). By this point in time they were using ESP parts to build them...purists might balk. For me, it's one I'll never sell.
    Check it out here: http://www.vintagekramer.com/pacer2.htm

14. DrBob

DrBob Member

+1 for a used Charvel SoCal/San Dimas.

Cracking guitars.

15. cool

cool Member

The rule of thumb is to avoid the old kramer strikers (the models with 22 frets involving the model name st and 100/200/300/400) and aerostars. They are playwood rubbish. Focuses are good but generally come with cheap crap pickups though they do come with a rad ofr and are MIJ. The american kramers are usually more assembled in america then actually made but a lot come with seymour duncan pups and OFRS.

Focus with a pickup upgrade is a good option for value especially with the pointys.

16. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Charvel Fusion Custom

I had one with the desert crackle finish. It looked amazing, fastest action guitar I've ever owned. The stock Jackson pickups were a bit noisy though. I played that thing hard until I wore the frets down after many years and then sold it. A shred monster of a guitar.

Sounds great
    plays great
    very light
    not expensive and hold their value (mine was ~$600 brand new in 1989 and they still sell for ~$400-$500)

17. snowblind56

snowblind56 Member

I've had two, still own one. One of the fastest necks I have ever played. My only problem with it is the short scale. It's the only guitar I own that I hit the volume knob, and I have had tons of superstrats with volumes near the pickup.

18. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I gigged a Focus 3000 for a few years back in the day, great guitar. Made by ESP back then.

19. Kelly

Kelly Member

20. s2y

s2y Member

Basically all of the USA models are pretty nice. I have a few Kramers and really enjoy them. They're obviously more than just a hair metal guitar, especially your average Pacer Deluxe.