80's metal is waaay back! Netflix 'The Dirt'

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cragginshred, Feb 20, 2019.

1. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

Netflix have chosen Motley crue (over Steel Panther.........argh) for a feature biopic about the best era in guitar oriented music -EVER! It's ok if you disagree
    In all seriousness it's pretty cool that the Crue and great classic metal gets acknowledged and featured in this Netflix film!
    Hope your as stoked as me, if not don't hold your breath for a Flock of seagulls movie anytime soon :beer Side note I was way more of a Ratt, Dokken and Maiden fan back then, still cool nonetheless

guitz, goddot, monty and 12 others like this.
  2. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

As a child of grunge, my musical consciousness started then. Before to long, I ended up going back to Zeppelin, the Stones, Cream and worked my way forward but never made it to the 80s. I’m sure there was some great stuff. Maybe this will get me into that era.

3. Rob303

Rob303 Supporting Member

When I was still on social media I remember Tommy and Nikki posting during the filming. I’d love to see this go the way of Narcos with seasons featuring other bands.

cragginshred likes this.
  4. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

@bsacamano I always remind people the '80's began in 1977 when VH I dropped. Up to 85 n 86 was the best then it turned pretty cheesy and over the top stuff. By that time I was into Metallica and Anthrax, but still loved Maiden and Rush

@Rob303 I'm not sure if this is a series like Narcos or a movie. I'm thinking it's a movie.

5. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I'm a member of the Class of '88 so I'm ABSOLUTELY stoked about this! 80's metal is still my favorite :)

6. Rob303

Rob303 Supporting Member

My older sister is class of ‘89. Her dog’s name was Motley and her boyfriend only kept one tape in his Pontiac Firebird (w/ t-tops of course): “Too Fast For Love”.

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I'm a member of the Class of '89, and I'd describe myself as morbidly curious about this.

goddot, JiveTurkey, CPower and 9 others like this.
  8. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

Because I've taken so much crap from younger players about my 80's style of playing seeing all this come full circle is particularly satisfying!

jammwill, JiveTurkey, CPower and 4 others like this.
  9. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

HA!!! I auditioned for the church band a few years ago and was told my playing was "old fashioned" by the music director, who was in his early 30's. Good guitar playing ain't ever dying :D

10. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

It's based on a their book of the same name which kind of sucked.
    Not a huge Motley fan but loved that era of guitar playing. I loved hunting subs on a P-3C in the Navy with GnR, Motley, Ratt etc. playing through the tube.

Grunge, that was popular for what....3 months ;)

11. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

@Pidgin English Lincoln Brewster is the best. SRV meets Paul Gilbert. Except his new poppy material. I learned so much from his instructional videos.

67blackcherry and John 14:6 like this.
  12. A-Bone

RaceRV?

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That's all good, but I don't think it means that metal is back, or even on it's way. It would be great if it were true however, so here's hoping. I've always expected that some form of guitar based music will eventually cycle back around.

I'm certainly looking forward to that biopic.

Wolfboy1 and 84superchamp like this.
  14. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

Me too. In the 80's I was entrenched in the alternative camp. I was the kid in your high school who dressed in black, wore eyeliner and had Robert Smith's haircut. My friends and I loathed hair metal at the time. We'd watch Headbangers Ball purely for the laughs. Now I often find myself with a false sense of longing and nostalgia for a lot of music of my youth that at the time served only as a punching bag for being painfully uncool. I actually enjoy hearing hair metal now. Same for Huey Lewis and other Top 40 80's fluff. This all speaks to me staring my age and mortality in the face coupled with the fact that my guard is down enough for me to see value in what I used to hate. Actually I'm a lot happier now not running everything through a filter. Growing up can be pretty cool.

goddot, JohnnyGtar, db2112 and 8 others like this.
  15. A-Bone

Country?

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Except that one.

17. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

These discussions rarely include Judas Priest, i've noticed it in other similar threads. The 1st metal band i really enjoyed and supported by buying their music..... it's just tragic (ridiculous?) that metal devolved into what it became. Here's hoping for a return. :cool:

scribbler, ieso, fretless and 3 others like this.
  18. Norsegod

Norsegod Member

I've always thought of Motley Crüe as being the KISS of the 80s metal scene.

I'll pass on any movie or series about them, the excess always struck me as dumb and the music uninteresting.

19. Stike

Stike Member

I'm also class of 89. I was big into shugugga gugga weedly weedly in jr/sr high school but I'm not overly nostalgic now.

Last year while we were staying in New Orleans for spring break production for The Dirt had a bunch of trucks and trailers parked across the street from our rental condo so I'll be curious to see if any NOLA landmarks are in it.

A-Bone likes this.
  20. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I dropped out in ‘89 because although it was my projected grad year, I was still in the 10th grade.:anon

I kind of circled back around to ‘80s Rock in my 20s and 30s because other than Run DMC/Aerosmith, those styles didn’t really rock my neighborhood.

I had some white friends though and they hipped me to EVH, Poison, Bon Jovi and others. In Junior High, my best friend’s mom used to smoke a LOT of weed and crank Hendrix, The Who and Zep.

Wait, we’re the same age (ish)?

goddot and A-Bone like this.