80's metal is waaay back! Netflix 'The Dirt'

cragginshred

Netflix have chosen Motley crue (over Steel Panther.........argh) for a feature biopic about the best era in guitar oriented music -EVER! It's ok if you disagree
In all seriousness it's pretty cool that the Crue and great classic metal gets acknowledged and featured in this Netflix film!
Hope your as stoked as me, if not don't hold your breath for a Flock of seagulls movie anytime soon :beer Side note I was way more of a Ratt, Dokken and Maiden fan back then, still cool nonetheless

Rob303

Supporting Member
When I was still on social media I remember Tommy and Nikki posting during the filming. I’d love to see this go the way of Narcos with seasons featuring other bands.

AaeCee

Supporting Member
Netflix have chosen Motley crue (over Steel Panther.........argh) for a feature biopic about the best era in guitar oriented music -EVER! It's ok if you disagree
In all seriousness it's pretty cool that the Crue and great classic metal gets acknowledged and featured in this Netflix film!
That's all good, but I don't think it means that metal is back, or even on it's way. It would be great if it were true however, so here's hoping. I've always expected that some form of guitar based music will eventually cycle back around.

I'm certainly looking forward to that biopic.

fretless

Supporting Member
I'm a member of the Class of '89, and I'd describe myself as morbidly curious about this.
Me too. In the 80's I was entrenched in the alternative camp. I was the kid in your high school who dressed in black, wore eyeliner and had Robert Smith's haircut. My friends and I loathed hair metal at the time. We'd watch Headbangers Ball purely for the laughs. Now I often find myself with a false sense of longing and nostalgia for a lot of music of my youth that at the time served only as a punching bag for being painfully uncool. I actually enjoy hearing hair metal now. Same for Huey Lewis and other Top 40 80's fluff. This all speaks to me staring my age and mortality in the face coupled with the fact that my guard is down enough for me to see value in what I used to hate. Actually I'm a lot happier now not running everything through a filter. Growing up can be pretty cool.

84superchamp

Silver Supporting Member
These discussions rarely include Judas Priest, i've noticed it in other similar threads. The 1st metal band i really enjoyed and supported by buying their music..... it's just tragic (ridiculous?) that metal devolved into what it became. Here's hoping for a return. :cool:

Stike

I'm a member of the Class of '89, and I'd describe myself as morbidly curious about this.
I'm also class of 89. I was big into shugugga gugga weedly weedly in jr/sr high school but I'm not overly nostalgic now.

Last year while we were staying in New Orleans for spring break production for The Dirt had a bunch of trucks and trailers parked across the street from our rental condo so I'll be curious to see if any NOLA landmarks are in it.

I dropped out in ‘89 because although it was my projected grad year, I was still in the 10th grade.:anon

I kind of circled back around to ‘80s Rock in my 20s and 30s because other than Run DMC/Aerosmith, those styles didn’t really rock my neighborhood.

I had some white friends though and they hipped me to EVH, Poison, Bon Jovi and others. In Junior High, my best friend’s mom used to smoke a LOT of weed and crank Hendrix, The Who and Zep.

Wait, we’re the same age (ish)?

Trending Topics